Beautiful Burst with Flame Maple Top
Throughout the 50s the Les Paul had already enjoyed several modifications including the introduction of the Tune-o-matic bridge in 1956 and humbucking pickups in 1957. However, sales were letting off and Gibson president, Ted McCarty, blamed the model's flashy Goldtop finish. So, in 1958 a more elegant Cherry Sunburst finish was released on a bookmatched two piece Carved Maple top and it proved hugely popular. This gave each guitar its own unique look with a finish that varied in greatly varying degrees. The VOS (Vintage Original Spec) finish on this guitar is an example of the individual faded appearance of those vintage burst models.
The 59 Les Paul makes the most of this new finish with a stunning Flamed Maple top.
Classic Les Paul Features
The Gibson Custom Les Paul Historic standard has a body of solid, non-weight relieved Mahogany, which blends depth and richness with the snap and clarity of the Maple top. The quarter-sawn Mahogany neck still has a chunky, rounded 50s profile, which, in combination with the traditional long-tenon neck joint, enhances sustain and resonance as well as feeling great in the hand. In addition to these classic ingredients, the 1959 Les Paul Standard Reissue also benefits from Gibson Custom's 20th Anniversary specifications. These include a one-piece Rosewood fingerboard, Kluson Deluxe machine heads, hot-hide glue neck fit, a Historic Truss Rod assembly with no tubing, accurate body and fingerboard binding color, new Custom Buckers created in the image of the original PAFs, and period-correct Aniline dye beneath its nitrocellulose lacquer finish.
Custom Bucker Pickups
You get a set of Custom Bucker pickups with this guitar that are exclusive to the Gibson Custom Shop. Crafted with alnico III magnets and wired to have an uneven amount of turns in the wire you get a unique feel and character that only your guitar will have. These pickups clean up beautifully at the guitar's volume controls, while Bumble Bee tone caps assist in that warm, singing "woman tone" when you roll back the tone controls. Designed after the late 50s PAF pickups that are so highly sought after, you can't get much closer to these than these custom buckers.
Complete Custom Package
Like all Gibson Custom shop models there is a certain level of quality that you will only find with these few selected guitars. Each model has a perfect fret job thanks to the PLEK machine which perfectly levels the frets so you can play it straight out of the box and comes with a Custom Shop Certificate of Authenticity and a classic Gibson brown and pink hard case.
- Neck Design: Historic long neck tenon
- Top: Book-matched flame Maple
- Tailpiece: Lightweight aluminum stopbar
- Finish: Hand-sprayed nitrocellulose lacquer
- Neck Construction: Hot hide glue neck construction
- Pickups: Custom Bucker PAF repros
- Fingerboard: Solid one-piece rosewood
- Body: Hand-selected one-piece mahogany
- Neck: Mahogany with '59 profile
Body & Bridge
- Top: Flame Maple, 2 Piece
- Binding: Single Bound 50s Cream
- Back: Mahogany 1 Piece
- Weight Relief: None
- Finish: Ice Tea VOS
- Bridge: ABR with Thumbwheels
Neck & Fingerboard
- Neck: Mahogany, 1 Piece
- Fingerboard: Solid Indian Rosewood
- Radius: 30.38 cm / 12"
- Frets: 22
- Scale: 62.865 cm / 24.75"
- Binding: Single Bound, 50s Cream
- Nut: Nylon
- Inlays: Cellulose Trapezoid
Pickups & Hardware
- Pickups: Custom Buckers
- Machine Heads: Reissue Kluson Deluxe Green Keys, Single Band
- Tailpiece: Reissue Lightweight Aluminium
- Hardware: Nickel Plated
- Pickguard: 1950s Style Cream
- Truss Rod Cover: 1950s Style LP Standard
- Knobs: Gold Top Hats
- Case: Included Reissue brown and pink Les Paul hardcase