View Full Description
Centrered around a newly designed, next-generation architecture, the Cobalt 5S can perform up to five true polyphonic voices, with two independent algorithm groups and up to eight oscillators per voice. With all of this power, musicians, sound designers and more have a tremendous palette of tonal variety to craft any sound imaginable. In conjunction with the 40 highly detailed oscillator models that include Sync, Ring Mod, Waveform Morphing, you can let your creativity run wild to create the sounds you've always dreamt of.
Similar to the rest of the Cobalt line-up of synthesizers, the Cobalt 5S features the same self-oscillating 4-pole Morphable Ladder Filter from the Cobalt 8. Exponentially more powerful than a traditional filter, the Cobalt 5S 4-pole feature includes four different modes that can all be manipulated with the typical Cutoff and Resonance controls as well as the experimental Morph parameter, letting you adjust the filter in a musical and immersive way. Whether you're looking to subtly adjust the tone of a track or transform your instrument to something completely new, the Cobalt 5S can deliver. The only limit is your imagination!
Tone sculpting made easy
Everything you demand to craft the perfect sound in meticulous detail is right at your fingertips with COBALT5S. Three envelopes complete with selectable types take command of the filter, amp or modulation destinations, empowering you with unrestricted options when it comes to fine-tuning your sound. One Polyphonic LFO and one Global LFO provide extended power to control a plethora of modulation sources, selected via a sophisticated 8-slot modulation matrix. Whether it’s an otherworldly evolving soundscape, rhythmic pads or a searing lead, realising your creative vision has never been this easy!
Supercharge your performance
Take your performance to the next level with the Modal Cobalt 5S. The integrated 512-note real-time/step sequencer lets you experiment with arrangements and compositions that wouldn't be possible with traditional sequencers. This sequencer features four animation lanes, letting you deep dive in control to customise each groove exactly the way you need for your music. Paired with the built-in programmable 32-step advanced arpeggiator and you will unlock a world of creative, rhythmic and experimental textures and patterns to transform monotonous single-line melodies into exciting and otherworldly soundscapes.
It's not just the performance features that let you level up your performances as the Modal Cobalt 5S is compatible with advanced MPE controllers and instruments, letting you add natural fluidity and expression into your performances.
Power on the go
Not just a marketing tag, Beyond Analog Anywhere is strictly adhered to with the Cobalt 5S. The USB connection eliminates the need for any power supply source, instead simply plug your Cobalt 5S into your Mac, PC or portable power brick and create stunning sounds on the go.
The Cobalt 5S boasts a wide range of flexibility and in-depth control that ensures every adjustment to a parameter that you need to make will be available right in front of you. The Cobalt 5S features 16 switched encoders and a proprietary X/Y/Z touchpad to give you tactile editing at your fingertips. Going above and beyond the typical joystick X/Y-style pads, the proprietary X/Y/Z touchpad gives you 5-axis control over pitch bend, modulation wheel or any other user-assigned modulation. In combination with MPE supported format, the Cobalt 5S presents an opportunity for live sound designers to expressively perform like never before, adding smooth dynamics and movement to your sound. Of course, everything is monitored through the radiant monochrome OLED display to highlight all the key information you are controlling in razor-sharp resolution.
Capable of working both stand-alone or integrated into part of an existing setup, the Cobalt 5S has a slew of connectivity options to make this a seamless transition. Whether you need to connect directly to a PA, mixing console or audio interface via 1/4-inch jack, connect to your computer via USB MIDI, or integrate into existing setups with MIDI in and out, the Cobalt 5S makes this integration as simple as could be.
Immerse yourself with the free MODALapp
Free to download for all Cobalt 5S users, the MODALapp brings the comfort of screen-based editing to your computer or mobile device. Available for every major device type, the MODALapp is available for Mac, Windows, iOS, iPadOS and Android systems meaning no matter what device you have, you will still be able to enjoy deep parameter editing. With the free MODALapp, you can craft sounds from start to finish, deep-diving into each and every parameter to open a new set of options that aren't available on the device and when finished, you can save the patches in your library for instant recall whenever you need.
- Unlock every feature of the Cobalt 5S through the free MODALApp
- MODALApp available on MacOS, Windows, iOS, iPadOS, Android and as an AU/VST3 plug-in
- Seamlessly integrate into your existing setup or use as standalone via the USB-power
- Intuitive X/Y/Z touch pads, 16 switched encoders and 37 keys with aftertouch allow you to fully express your creativity
- Designed using the next-generation Extended Virtual Analog Synthesis architecture engine
- MPE Support allows you to add more dynamic and fluidity to your performances
- Create sounds from any era from vintage to hypermodern
- Five-voice polyphone lets you play in complex chords to add texture to your music
- 40 oscillators up to eight per voice allow you to craft virtually any sound
- Fine-tune your sound or create a unique sound design with the 4-pole morphable ladder filter
- Constructed from a durable polycarbonate enclosure with a large OLED display to visualise your sounds at all times
- Comprehensive range of connectivity to integrate into any setup
- Five different keyboard modes including Mono and Polyphonic, Stack 2, Unison 2 and Unison 4
- Switched encoders allow you to send real-time CC messages to other MIDI devices or DAWs for an expansive setup and control over your system
- Assignable mod wheel for pitch bend or modulation
- Up to 300 memory patches, with four quick recall slots on the front panel for quick loading of your favourite patches
- Comes with 200 factory presets to dive right into production
- Stereo chorus and delay effects add professional polish to your tones or can be used to create out of this world sound effects
- Polyphonic sequencer with up to 512 recordable notes that can be synced internally or externally
- Polyphonic step-sequencer with up to 64 steps with five notes per step
- Supports MPE-compatible MIDI controllers, allowing you to apply polyphonic control and expression to individual notes
- 40 high-resolution virtual-analogue oscillators, up to 8 per voice
- Two independent and self-contained oscillator groups with sine, pulse, triangle, sawtooth waveforms plus 40 different algorithms including: complex analogue synthesis techniques, built-in cross modulation (SYNC, RM, and many more), PWM, smooth morphing between VA waves, bit crushing and filtered noise.
- Extended Oscillator Drift
- Algorithms (Retractable menu)
- 4-Pole Morphable Ladder Filter with Resonance and four switchable configurations
- Resonance and Balanced Filter Modes
- Three dedicated envelope generators for AMP, MOD and FILTER that can be accessed independently or all three simultaneously including negative (reverse) versions for MOD and FILTER ENVs
- Two audio-rate LFO’s with tempo sync (one poly, one global) with seven different shapes
- Eight assignable modulation slots and four additional fixed modulation routings for common assignments with 11 modulation sources and 41 modulation destinations
- Sequencer and Arpeggiator:
- Polyphonic realtime sequencer with 512 notes and four recordable/editable parameter animations (Delay FX, LFO’s, sequencer and arpeggiator can be either clocked internally or externally)
- Polyphonic Step Sequencer with 64 steps, 5 notes per step, 4 lanes of Parameter-Lock style animation, Step Input mode, multiple playback modes including gate modes and rest function
- Built-In sophisticated programmable arpeggiator of 32 steps with rest capability and up to 2048 steps before repeating
- Two incredibly powerful independent and user-configurable stereo FX engines for Chorus and Stereo Delay
- User Memory:
- 300 patch memories, all fully editable; ships with 200 factory programs
- 100 sequencer presets that can be linked to any patch for quickly loading arrangements
- 4 Quick Recall slots accessible from the panel for quickly loading your favourite patches
- Controls and Performance:
- Premium 37 compact-key keyboard with velocity and channel aftertouch
- 16 switched encoders support realtime CC message transmissions to other MIDI devices or DAWs
- Five-axis X/Y/Z pressure-sensitive keypad for pitch bend, mod wheel and/or modulation assignments
- Multiple keyboard modes, Mono, Poly, Stack 2, Unison 2, Unison 4
- Glide/Portamento with both legato and staccato modes
- Inputs and Outputs:
- 6.35 mm / 1/4″ TS line outputs
- 6.35 mm / 1/4″ TRS headphone output
- MIDI DIN In and Out
- 3.5 mm / 1/8″ TS Analogue clock sync In and Out
- Class compliant MIDI over USB connection
- 6.35 mm / 1/4″ TS sustain pedal input
- Enclosure and Display:
- Durable polycarbonate enclosure
- 1 large monochrome OLED display for instant visual feedback at all times of playing/editing
- Power: DC-9.0V – 1.5A centre-positive or USB-bus powered
- Editor Software:
- Free MODALapp software editor available for macOS, Windows, iOS and Android
- MODALapp can also be run within your Digital Audio Workstation (DAW), with VST3 and AU versions available
- Dimensions (L x W x H): 56.5 x 16.2, x 5.7 cm
- Weight: 2.36 kg
- Product code: COBALT5S