View Full Description
Celebrated concert grand pianos
The rich, expressive sound of Kawai's celebrated concert grand pianos are at the heart of the new CN Series, with both the flagship Shigeru Kawai SK-EX and highly-acclaimed Kawai EX instruments lovingly recorded and faithfully produced using full 88-key stereo sampling. With two distinctive Kawai concert grand pianos, a traditional upright, and the CN301's additional Shigeru Kawai SK-5 mid-sized grand readily available, CN Series owners can explore a variety of different piano sounds, and enjoy the contrasting properties of each. The latest CN Series instruments utilise Kawai's advanced Progressive Harmonic Imaging technology, with algorithms that reproduce how an acoustic piano's tonal character changes as dynamics increase. This ensures seamless expression when playing from gentle pianissimo to thunderous fortissimo, without sudden changes in sound, while impressive polyphony specifications allow players to perform complicated pieces without held notes "dropping out" unexpectedly.
These realistic piano sounds are delivered using high-performance audio hardware and speaker systems, with the class-leading CN301 boasting four speakers and new diffuser panels that help to expand the instrument's tonal projection in all directions. This technology is complemented by a newly engineered power adapter that contributes to an overall smoother, clearer sound, and ensures a faithful reproduction of the acoustic piano source - even when playing at high volume levels.
Improved Responsive Hammer III action
Connecting the CN Series' stunning grand piano sounds to the player is the acclaimed Responsive Hammer III keyboard. This highly-regarded action features graded hammers that replicate the heavier bass and lighter treble hammers of an acoustic piano, with additional counterweights embedded within the front of each black and white key that assist playing control during pianissimo passages. The CN301 utilises a modern triple sensor key detection system for enhanced repetition speed and responsiveness, allowing a greater range of expressive control from staccato to legato playing.
The Responsive Hammer III action is equipped with premium Ivory Touch key surfaces that possess an attractive, natural matte finish that is smooth but not slippery, while let-off simulation reproduces the subtle resistance felt when playing the keys of a grand piano very softly, satisfying the expectations of the most experienced pianists. Finally, the updated RHIII action utilised by the latest CN301 model features structure and cushioning upgrades. These enhancements further improve the sense of stability when keys are pressed, while also helping to reduce action noise as the keys are released.
Integrated Bluetooth connectivity with app support
The impressive CN301 offers a variety of useful features to complement their stunning grand piano sounds and authentic keyboard touch. Integrated Bluetooth MIDI and Bluetooth Audio connectivity allows apps such as Kawai's dedicated PianoRemote control app, or a wide range of third-party learning and recreation apps to be enjoyed wirelessly, and for music streamed from a smartphone or tablet to be played through the pianos' impressive audio systems without any additional cables.
For aspiring pianists, the built-in lesson function featuring a variety of classical etudes is complemented by Kawai's PiaBookPlayer score viewing app, while the adjustable metronome and song recorder are both invaluable tools for developing a sense of rhythm and charting one's progress. An assortment of additional instrumental voices, along with Dual and Split playing modes add greater variety to players and performances, while the special Four Hands mode divides the keyboard into two independent sections, allowing teacher and student to practise and play together using a single instrument. The latest CN Series models also inherit Kawai's advanced SHS technology from the larger CA Series instruments, enhancing the depth and realism of sounds heard through headphones or earphones, while also helping to reduce auditory fatigue when listening for extended periods of time.
The CN301 raises the bar further, with additional recorder function that allow MP3 or WAV audio files to be recorded and to a USB memory device directly on the instrument, and then shared with friends and family online. Both CN Series models include USB-MIDI ports for straight-forward wired connectivity with computers, while the CN301 also offers stereo Line In and Line Out jacks that allow the instrument to be enjoyed in larger settings such as churches or school halls.
Attractive and modern design
The latest CN Series pianos are housed within premium quality wooden cabinets that incorporate a flat fascia and raised upper board. The control panel for both models is discretely embedded inside the left cheek-block, with functions clearly printed directly onto each button, and high-resolution OLED displays that remain clear and easily readable from the seated position. Attractive curved leg and minimalist toe block design contributes to the pianos’ slender appearance, with Premium Rosewood, Satin Black, and Satin White finishes that are suitable for a range of traditional and modern interiors.
- Keyboard: Responsive Hammer III (RHIII) action with Let-Off, Triple Sensor, and Counterweights 88 weighted keys with Ivory Touch key surfaces
- Display: 128 x 64 dots OLED
- Polyphony: max. 256 notes
- Sounds: 45 sounds
- Metronome: 1/4, 2/4, 3/4, 4/4, 5/4, 3/8, 6/8, 7/8, 9/8, 12/8 beat + 100 drum rhythms
- Internal Recorder: 10 song, 2 track recorder – approximately 90,000 note memory capacity
- USB Recorder: Playing back: MP3 (bitrate: 8 to 320 kbit/s, sampling frequency: 44.1 kHz, 48 kHz, or 32 kHz), WAV (44.1 kHz, 16 bit), SMF, KSO (internal song file)
- Internal Songs: Demo Songs: 33 songs
- Piano Music: 29 songs
- Concert Magic: 176 songs
- Virtual Technician: Touch Curve, Voicing, Damper Resonance, Damper Noise, String Resonance, Undamped String Resonance, Cabinet
Resonance, Key-off Effect, Fall-back Noise, Hammer Noise, Hammer Delay, Topboard Simulation,
Decay Time, Release Time, Minimum Touch, Stretch Tuning/User Tuning, Temperament, Temperament Key, Key Volume, Half-Pedal Adjust, Soft Pedal Depth
- Phones Settings: Spatial Headphone Sound (SHS), Phones Type, Phones Volume
- Bluetooth: MIDI: Bluetooth (Ver. 5.0 GATT-compatible) / Bluetooth Low Energy MIDI Specification-compliant AUDIO: Bluetooth (Ver. 5.1 A2DP-compatible)
- Other Functions: Reverb, Effects, Dual, Split, Four Hands, Registration Memories, Panel Lock, Key Transpose, Song Transpose, Tone Control, Speaker Volume, Low Volume Balance, Tuning, Damper Hold, Startup Setting, Factory Reset, Auto Display Off, Auto Power Off, MIDI Settings, USB Menu
- Pedals: Sustain (with half-pedal support), Soft (with half-pedal support), Sostenuto
- Key Cover: Sliding type
- Jacks: Headphones x 2 (1/4", 1/8"), LINE OUT (1/4" L/MONO, R), LINE IN (1/4" L/MONO, R), USB to Host, USB to Device
- Output Power: 20 W + 20 W
- Speakers: 13 cm x 2 (woofer)
(8 x 12) cm x 2 (top speaker)
- Power Consumption: 17 W (PS-154 AC adaptor)
(Folding music rest) 1410 (W) x 435 (D) x 870 (H) mm
55 1/2" (W) x 17 1/8" (D) x 34 1/5" (H)
Weight 47.5 kg / 105 lbs.