View Full Description
The Special from Brian May Guitars combines the distinctive aesthetics and sound of the original Red Special model with a selection of modern appointments and superb quality, production-line craftsmanship. Faithfully reproducing the original's unique character and tonal versatility, the Special is not just a standard replica model. This new edition is especially designed to provide modern players of all musical levels with an affordable pro-grade instrument that is perfect for any performance environment.
Chambered Mahogany Body
This elegantly designed electric guitar features a double cutaway mahogany body along with an acoustic chamber modelled on Brian's original design. An acoustic chamber not only decreases the weight, it also provides you with a natural resonance and a rich, balanced tone. Its double cutaway design also provides you with easier access to the higher frets, and enhances fluid hand flexibility across the whole fingerboard.
The Brian May Special Electric Guitar features a one-piece mahogany neck which has been delicately engineered with a comfortable contour and D-shape profile, offering you optimum playability. This elegant mahogany neck is glued-in for a precise tone and sports a generous 45mm nut width and smooth 24 fret ebony fingerboard.
In addition to the comfortable mahogany neck, the Brian May Special also features a zero fret, which is an extra fret located directly in front of the nut. This innovative fret serves to keep the string action correct at the end of the fret-board, and prevents wear on the nut. The strings rest on top of the zero fret, which is higher than the other frets, allowing for great play-ability and no fret buzz. It also ensures open and fretted notes sound the same.
Tri-Sonic Style Pickups
As well as offering a natural resonant tone, the special is equipped with a trio of sonic style pickups that are modern replicas of the Burns tri-sonics that Brian originally installed on the Red Special. These upgraded replicas not only deliver a faithful reproduction of the originals, they also feature a higher impedance and produce a powerful sonic character that will cut through any mix. The three pickups are wired in series for an increased output and a fuller signal. Controlling this powerful trio is easy with the switching system, which consists of two banks of three switches for achieving the perfect tone.
Wilkinson Knife-Edge Tremolo
The Special is equipped with a Wilkinson knife-edge tremolo which not only provides you with a smooth, comfortable performance, exceptional stability and sustain, but also offers a striking appearance.
Grover Locking Tuners
The Special is also equipped with Grover's innovative Rotomatic locking tuners which automatically lock your strings as you tune, allowing for super-fast string changes and ensuring rock-solid tuning stability, even with heavy tremolo use. This is an ideal feature for professional musicians who perform often and require frequent string changes.
"Brian May fans will love this guitar; great price, attention to build quality and an obvious visual appeal tick the important boxes" Music Radar
Read the full review here.
- Equipped with Tri-Sonic style pickups for a powerful sonic character and a classic tone
- Acoustic chambered mahogany body offers a superb natural resonance along with a lightweight body
- Original BM Switching system for a vast range of pickup options
- 24" Scale Mahogany Neck with comfortable contours
- Wilkinson Knife-Edge Tremolo delivers a smooth, comfortable performance with stability and sustain
- Grover locking tuners automatically lock your strings as you tune for easy string changes
- Double cutaway body shape offers easier access to the higher frets
- Premium Quality Gig Bag with Stitched Brian May Guitars Logo
- Finished in white with red contrasting pickguard and chrome hardware
- Series: Brian May Special
- Body Top: Bookmatched Mahogany Top
- Body Back: Acoustic Chambered Mahogany
- Total Length: 99cm
- Body Length: 41cm
- Upper Bout: 25cm
- Lower Bout: 36cm
- Depth: 4cm
- Body Binding: 6-Ply Pinstripe, Front + Back
- Body Finish: Gloss
- Body Colour: White
- Neck Material: 1-Piece Mahogany
- Neck Construction: Set Neck
- Scale Length: 610mm (24")
- Fingerboard Radius: 250mm (9.8")
- Fingerboard: Ebony
- Number of Frets: 24 + zero fret
- Fret Size: Medium Jumbo
- Nut: Graphite/PPS Black (45mm x 6mm)
- Nut Width: 45mm (1.77")
- Position Inlays: White Dots
Hardware & Electronics
Pickups: 3 x BM Brand Custom Tri-Sonic Style Series Wired Single Coil
- Controls: Master Volume + Master Tone (250k)
- Pickup Switching: White Slider Switches | 3 x Pickup On/Off | 3 x Pickup Phase In/Out
- Bridge: Wilkinson WVP Knife Edge Tremolo (36mm Block) with Brass Saddles and Custom BMG Trem Arm
- Tuning Machines: 3-A-Side Grover 406 Mini Locking Rotomatic Tuners
- Strings: D'Addario XL-120 Super Light, Plain Steel .009 - .011 - .016, Nickel Wound .024 - .032 - .042
- Pickguard: Main Control Plate | Half-Moon Tail Plate | Matching Truss Rod Cover
- Gig Bag:Premium Quality Gig Bag with Stitched Brian May Guitars Logo