View Full Description
More than the Sum of its Parts
A virtual reproduction of the CS-80 has been highly sought after. DSP designer and developer Mark Barton's research into the development of making this dream a reality led him back to the CS-80's predecessor. So it was decided that Cherry Audio would not simply develop another CS-80 emulation, but would also reincorporate the extra features of the mighty GX-1. The GX-80 faithfully emulates all the sonic and control characteristics of the Yamaha CS-80 and GX-1. Produce thicker timbres that more closely match that of the originals than other CS-80 and GX-1 emulations. Moreover, the GX-80 models the filter, envelope behaviour, portamento and glide, ring modulator, pitch ribbon, and pulse-width modulations with unprecedented accuracy.
Take control of four polyphonic voice ranks, each with a VCO, resonant highpass and lowpass filters, noise generator, sine wave, dual envelope generators, and a velocity-sensitive VCA. Furthermore, add depth and movement with a sub-oscillator LFO for each layer with sine, sawtooth, ramp, square, sample and hold, and noise modes with tempo sync.
Operating on a massive dual-layer voicing architecture based on "ranks", each rank is a complete synth voice consisting of an oscillator, highpass and lowpass filters, a noise generator, a sine wave oscillator, envelope generators for the filter and VCA, and a VCA. The CS-80 offered two of these voice ranks, and the GX-1 featured four, assignable across two keyboards, plus a single solo synth voice rank for its three-octave mini keyboard and another synth voice rank for the pedalboard.
Operate GX-80 like the two-rank CS-80 in single layer mode, and add GX-1's two voice ranks when the layer mode is set to dual. Additional filtered waveform outputs from the GX-1 are included, as well as its octave-up triangle wave, invert filter envelope control and acclaimed filter topology.
All together, GX-80 offers 16 polyphonic voices per layer. Play two distinct patches simultaneously, in either keyboard split, for a performance feel that's closer to the original, or stacked layer mode, with discrete controls for layer volume and panning to get the most out of the huge range of sonic potential on offer.
The GX-80 offers a meticulously integrated GX-1 and CS-80 hybrid, but it is more than that. Dual synth layers add twice the impact, and additional waveforms with variable resonators add range and depth to your sounds. Take command of all this with ultimate flexibility and expressive performance capabilities, along with the GX-80's split keyboard mode, Cherry Audio has included an option to simulate polyphonic aftertouch with a monophonic aftertouch controller. Furthermore, there is also a unique "last-note priority" mode for simulated poly aftertouch response. All this in combination with comprehensive MIDI and Automation integration low CPU usage makes the GX-80 a performance powerhouse, and the perfect synth for live performances with a keyboard.
Thanks to its dual-layer interface, 1,000 sound presets, and integrated studio-quality effects, the GX-80 ticks all the boxes. For a powerful emulation synth that brings the sought-after and immensely rare Yamaha GX-1 and CS-80 to your fingertips, look no further. Take command of the immense and dreamy warbling soundscapes that became legend for their use by Vangelis in the classic sci-fi film Blade Runner. A true musical titan, a nexus of expressivity, and a distinctly cinematic sound that boasts the cutting-edge of synthesis architecture. The GX-80 brings this sound into the 21st century, enhanced to respond to every aspect of your musical style while faithfully retaining an unmistakable authenticity.
- Powerful virtual instrument recreating two monumental analog classics: the GX-1 and CS-80
- Reintegrates the extended features of the GX-1 with all the functionality of the CS-80 for an immense sound experience
- Dual-layer voicing architecture with 16 polyphonic voices per layer
- Simultaneously play two patches in either a keyboard split or stacked layer mode
- All GX-1 and CS-80 voicing parameters meticulously reproduced, including the GX-1's unique oscillator-level filtered waveforms, octave-up triangle wave, and invert filter envelope control
- Recreation of both the legendary CS-80 and GX-1 filters
- Four polyphonic voice ranks, each with a VCO, resonant highpass and lowpass filters, noise generator, sine wave, dual envelope generators, and a velocity-sensitive VCA
- Sub oscillator LFO for each layer with sine, sawtooth, ramp, square, sample and hold, and noise intended for modulation, with tempo sync
- Recreation of the distinctive CS ring modulator
- Coarse pitch range setting for each oscillator in traditional organ footage, as well as footages exclusive to the GX-1
- Virtual pitch ribbon controller
- GX-1 specific controls clearly distinguished
- Independent rank panning and independent layer stereo effects chain
- Tone selector includes CS-80 factory presets as well as user sound storage
- Panel Control for selecting layers, plus a utility function for exchanging settings between ranks in a layer, upper and lower sound layers, or between presets
- Over 1,000 presets that boast every unique aspect of GX-80 produced by a group of veteran sound designers
- Studio-quality integrated effects: chorus/rotary, flange/phaser, digital/tape delay with sync, and reverb, with global or dual layer modes
- Expressive touch response featuring velocity sensitivity with support for polyphonic and monophonic aftertouch, plus "last-note priority" mode for simulated polyphonic aftertouch response
- Complete MIDI control and DAW automation
- User-adjustable oversampling control
- Operating system:
- Mac: 64bit macOS 10.13+. Native Apple M1 processor support. 3.4 GHz Quad-Core or M1 CPU with 8GB of RAM recommended.
- Windows: 64bit Windows 7+. 3.4 GHz Quad-Core computer with 8GB of RAM recommended.
- Product code: 244663