View Full Description
Back to the roots
The Moog Grandmother takes Moog back to its modular roots, inspired by classic Moog synthesizers from the 70s and 80s. The fully analog circuitry captures the warmth and grit of retro synths, delivering a wide sonic palette with unparalleled power and tonal character. The 32-note velocity-sensitive provides fluid playability, giving a similar feel to a grand piano for added expression. The unique design is a culmination of various modules, hand-picked and incorporated for a truly one-of-a-kind synthesizer.
The oscillators are taken from the Minimoog, the mixer is taken from the CP3 and the Spring Reverb Tank is based on the Moog 905's design. At the heart of the Moog Grandmother are dual analog oscillators with selectable waveshape and hard sync options. This combination of classic modules fuses together to create a versatile sonic palette that can be used to create everything from atmospheric pads to vintage-style synth leads.
Semi-modular design with patching
The Grandmother features a wide range of patch points, providing a hands-on approach to sound design. Although patching isn’t required, the Grandmother gives you a range of creative patching abilities, allowing you to unlock the synth’s full potential. Patching can be used for overriding internal connections, making various sections function like a standalone module. The synthesizer is also great as an analog audio processor for external sources.
Arpeggiator and sequencer
The built-in arpeggiator and sequencer are designed to be easy to use, allowing you to create rhythms and melodic patterns on the fly. The powerful sequencer feature 256 note with three sequence locations. Each step of the sequencer can be entered either as a Note or a Rest. Individual steps can also be entered with a Tie and/or Accent. Sequence memory is stored even with the power off, allowing you to program sequences for use in later performances.
There are also controls for changing the way the sequencer plays notes, allowing you to create sequences from back to front or trigger a random sequence. The arpeggiator is great for creating melodic patterns, swooping cases, rhythms and other musical ideas. As with the sequencer, you can also change the direction of the arpeggiator for added versatility.
Filter and spring reverb tank
One of the most unique features of the Moog Grandmother is the integrated spring reverb tank. Spring reverb tanks were a staple of analog synthesizers from the 80s. The hardware Spring Reverb can be used to process external sounds as well as the internal tones you create. The 6-inch analog spring reverb tank comes complete with a dedicated Mix control as well as I/O connectivity. This synth wouldn’t be complete without premium-grade filters.
The synth incorporates a classic -24dB/octave Moog Low Pass Ladder Filter, which is great for removing high-end harmonic content while retaining the low-end response. The -24db refers to the roll off rate being at -24db pre octave. Also included is a 1-pole high-pass filter, boasting -6d/octave roll off. This is ideal for getting rid of the low-end whilst retaining the top-end of the frequency spectrum. These filters are great for changing the shape of your sound.
The Grandmother’s eye-catching design is reminiscent of vintage synthesizers, from the colour scheme to the rotary controls. It features both a classic-style analog ADSR envelope generator and an analog LFO with audio-rate capabilities for versatile control. The multi-coloured scheme is based on the original modules, and also helps to colour co-ordinate the various sections.
Versatile patch points and connectivity
The Moog Grandmother boasts a wide range of useful connections including DIN MIDI In/Out/Thru and USB MIDI. The MIDI connectivity can be used in the studio, ideal for incorporating the synthesizer into music productions using your selected DAW. The unit features 41 patch points in total, comprised of 21 inputs, 16 outputs and a Parallel-Wired 4-jack Mult.
The synth is designed to work with other Moog units such as the Mother-32, DFM, Eurorack modular systems and various other products. A 1/4-inch external audio input is included for incorporating guitars, drum machines and other external equipment. Additionally, a patchable bipolar attenuator is also included for added flexibility.
- Hardware Spring Reverb can be used to process external sounds
- ¼-inch External audio input for guitars, drum machines, and more.
- Semi-modular - no patching is required
- Easy to use Arpeggiator and Sequencer
- Store up to 3 sequences with up to 256 notes each
- 2 Analog Oscillators with selectable waveshape and hard sync
- Classic 4-Pole 10Hz-20kHz Ladder filter
- Patchable 1-Pole High Pass filter
- Analog ADSR Envelope Generator
- Analog LFO with audio-rate capabilities
- 32-note Fatar keyboard with velocity
- All normalized connections can be interrupted for full modularity
- DIN MIDI In/Out/Thru and USB MIDI
- Patchable bipolar attenuator
- Works with Mother-32, DFAM, Eurorack modular systems and more
- 41 patch points with 21 inputs, 16 outputs and a Parallel-Wired 4-jack Mult
- Oscillators based on Moog Minimoog
- Mixer based on Moog CP3
- Filter based on Moog 904
- Envelope Generator Based on Moog 911
- VCA Based on Moog 902
- Spring Reverb based on Moog 905
- Sound engine: Analog
- Number of keys: 32 Full-Size Keys
- Type of keys: Velocity-sensing (Velocity signal is not hard-wired – available via MIDI and
KBD VEL OUT jack)
- Other controllers: Pitch Bend, Mod Wheel, Variable Glide
- Polyphony: Monophonic
- Sound sources: 2 Oscillators with selectable Waveforms (Oscillator 2 supports Sync to Oscillator 1
plus linear FM), 1 White Noise Generator, External Input jack
- VCF (LOW PASS): -24dB/Octave Moog Ladder Filter with Resonance (Self-Oscillating)
STATIC FILTER (HIGH PASS): -6dB/Octave
- Mod sources: Modulation Oscillator (Sine, Sawtooth, Ramp, Square), S/H Output, plus Envelope
and Key Tracking
- Envelope: Four-Stage (ADSR)
- Attenuator: Bipolar
- Mult: Four Parallel-wired Non-buffered Patch Points
- Effects: Spring Reverb
- ARP/Sequencer: (256 Steps; three Sequence Files)
- Patch points:
- 41 x 3.5mm front and rear panels
- 21 Inputs
- 16 Outputs
- 4 Parallel-wired Mults
- Audio input: One 1/4” TS jack (Rear Panel)
- Audio output: One 1/4” TRS jack for headphones or line level output (Rear Panel)
- MIDI I/O: 5-pin DIN In, Out, Thru; plus MIDI over USB (Rear Panel)
- DIMS: 23” (54.82cm) Wide x 14 1/4” (36.19cm) Deep x 5 1/2” (13.97cm) High
- Power: Included Power Adapter 12V DC (positive tip), 2A, 100 to 240 Volts AC, 50/60Hz
- Weight: 7.25kg
- Product Code: MOD-GRAND-DK-06