View Full Description
Highly versatile microphone
You'll find this to be ideal for a range of applications in the studio. It works well on cranked up electric guitars, close up brass, drums, woodwinds, percussion, piano and choirs. It's compact and lightweight, and can be positioned easily towards your sound source.
The R-121 gives you all the warm and natural sound of a ribbon mic, packed into a lightweight, compact, high output and tough package, something that's not normally seen with ribbon microphones. Royer have scrapped the large, heavy and fragile approach of ribbon mics and turned it into the opposite.
Built to handle high SPL instruments
What's also great is that it's not affected by heat or humidity. It's the perfect mic for any live performance setup both indoors and outdoors.
It can also handle high SPL instruments. You'll find the R-121 can handle high SPL levels from guitars like instruments or brass, without it getting damaged or producing distortion. It offers a max SPL rating of 135dB at 20Hz, and it can handle it all day, every day.
Captures sound the way its heard
The R-121 accurately captures the sound you hear with your ears. It delivers a warm, realistic tone, with a smooth natural response when mic'd up with electric guitar amps, brass, horns, and percussion. It's flat and well-balanced with no boomy low-end, realistic mids, and smooth and natural highs.
With extremely low noise output too, your instruments will always sound ultra-clear. No matter the distance of your sound source, the R-121 will always give you a consistent frequency response.
Effectively isolates instruments
You'll be able to easily isolate instruments. The R-121 has a figure-8 polar pattern which effectively rejects sound from the left and right sides, the top, and bottom of the mic. These are effective dead zones that can be used to isolate instruments by positioning the mics in a certain way. Place the mic's null position towards these sounds and the bleed will be virtually eliminated.
Patented offset ribbon technology
The first of its kind. The R-121 has an offset ribbon transducer that positions the ribbon elements to the front side of the mic. This arrangement helps to maintain a full frequency response on high SPL applications, giving the ribbon more room to move within the prime magnetic field.
- Can handle high SPL instruments without getting damaged or distorting
- Ribbon element is not effected by heat or humidity
- Ideal for electric guitar amps, brass, horns, drum rooms, kicks, woodwinds, percussion, piano, acoustic guitar, strings, choirs, commercial broadcasts
- Absence of high frequency phase distortion
- Equal sensitivity from front and back of element
- Delivers warm, realistic tone with smooth natural response
- Flat and well-balanced with a non boomy low-end, realistic mids, and smooth, natural highs
- Effective at rejecting bleed from other instruments
- Rejects sounds from left, right, top and bottom
- Offset ribbon transducer that maintains full response on high SPL applications
- Consistent frequency response regardless of distance
- Acoustic Operating Principle: Electrodynamic pressure gradient
- Polar Pattern: Figure-8
- Generating Element: 2.5-micron aluminium ribbon
- Magnets: Rare earth neodymium
- Frequency Response: 30 - 15000Hz +/-3dB
- Sensitivity: -47dBv Re. 1v/pa
- Output Impedance: 300 ohms @ 1K (nominal)
- Rated Load Impedance: > 1500 ohms @ 300 ohms
- Maximum SPL: > 135dB @ 20Hz
- Output Connector: Male XLR 3 pin (Pin 2 hot)
- Dimensions: 155.7 x 25mm (LxW)
- Weight: 0.24g