View Full Description
New in Volcano 3
While the first thing you may notice is the redesigned interface, this doesn't tell the full story of the updates that make up Volcano 3. Of course, the newly designed interface offers a more efficient and pleasing slate to work from, but digging deeper you'll find a trove of functional updates as well as practical ones. The most significant update comes in the form of the additional vintage-inspired EQ-type filter shapes for every filter style. This can be selected for the All-pass, Low/High Shelf, Bell and Notch filters and contains internal drive and non-linearities that result in a truly unique behaviour that's aeons away from clean, digital filters. Additionally, a new 6dB/oct filter option lets you add subtlety to your filtering for a more conservative approach that just shaves off the harsh resonances of your audio.
What many people thought was the apex of filtering plugins with Volcano 2 has been toppled from the tower. FabFilter Volcano 3 has found a way to improve the sound quality of the filtering algorithms for an even more accurate, authentic and euphoric soundscape. Beyond the sound and aesthetic, Volcano is erupting with useful functions, tweaks and refinements to improve the performance and flexibility of the plugin. You now have adjustable Attack, Decay and Release curves for the EGs, a transient detection mode for your EFs, a high-quality 4X oversampling mode and the ability to adjust the level and pan of each filter. Far from a comprehensive list, FabFilter Volcano 3 could serve as its own release with the updated features and can only encourage you to dive right into the sound design aspects for boundless creativity.
Revolutionary interface design with workflow improvements
For creative sound design, it's integral to have an interface that inspires and is not too clustered that it can be a hindrance to your process, with Volcano 3, FabFilter has taken the interface design to a new level by employing the 'what you use is what you see' concept. Built from the ground-up, Volcano 3 dramatically improves the visualisation of modulation and audio signals. Displaying only what you have engaged and leaving out anything else, Volcano 3 helps to evolve your workflow tenfold, letting you make adjustments quickly without tedious menu-diving that can stifle the creative process.
The newly designed display lets you select multiple filters at once and highlights a spectrum analyser as well as a unified response curve. Modulation signals can now be seen at the source and the target, with animated collars defining which direction your signal is flowing while the floating slot panels enable collective balancing of all sources modulating the currently selected control. Produce and design over longer periods thanks to the dark theme that's easier on your eyes and when it comes time to explore vast sonic potential, get into the details with the new gorgeous full-screen mode.
This simple idea is vital in improving your workflow, helping you stay within the groove and keep your ideas on track without being derailed. Asking the simple question of, do you want another filter or envelope follower or to remove a modulation source? Simply add it or remove it! Intuitive for both beginners and seasoned professionals, you will be able to create your sound design faster than ever.
Exciting new filters, jam-packed with character
Doubling the offering of filters from the previous offering, Volcano 3 introduces the vintage-style filters comprised of a Bell, High/Low Shelf, Notch and All-pass modes. Of course, the heart and soul of Volcano is the bank of four analog-modelled filters and with the new additions in Volcano 3, you can access a wider tonal palette to experiment with sound design in more detail than ever before. Consistent with the other existing filters, the new vintage-inspired filters are comprised of non-linearities and internal drive levels to deliver authentic and analog-sounding filtering. Of course, these can be sent through the internal 'Style' circuit to access a broader range of sonic colouration.
Newly implemented in Volcano 3 is a variable saturation circuit per filter, giving you more tonal shaping options along with a new 6dB/oct slope option to soften the aggressiveness of your filtering. This can be ideal when looking to add subtle shaping to an instrument to fit into your mix, rather than manipulating the signal beyond recognition.
Getting started with modulation within Volcano 3 is incredibly easy, with an intuitive drag-and-drop system you can insert any amount of XLFO's, Envelope Generators, Envelope Followers and MIDI sources as you will ever need together in a customized chain. The new and improved modulation sources ensure that you will be able to freely express your creativity and achieve the sound in your head with absolute ease. Whether you're looking to offset your XLFO Speed to the attack parameter of your Envelope Follower or the frequency of your filter to the release of your Envelope Generator, Volcano 3 lets you actualise your design.
New for Volcano 3 are four vintage-inspired filters, each one offering a wide range of filter shapes including non-linear, bell and shelf filters. Introduced in these vintage-style filters are internal drive and non-linearities to give your audio the classic, aggressive filter found on vintage synthesizers. Driving certain filter types will result in self-oscillation that can be used to achieve the searing sounds of classic Eurorack and modular synthesizer filters.
In keeping with the existing catalogue of FabFilter products, Volcano 3 employs the same attention to detail and care in giving you the best experience possible when operating the plugin. Seamlessly tuned knobs with a gracious sweep when moving between settings, parameter interpolation for a smooth transition, extensive help with interactive hints, audio optimisation and much more all contribute to an experience like no other.
- Infinite tonal palette by using up to four filters simultaneously
- Endless routing options with parallel, serial, L/R stereo and M/S modes
- Intuitive and easy to read interface following the what you see is what you use concept
- Adjust multiple filters simultaneously with the rebuilt control panel
- Integrated spectrum analyzer
- Improved audio quality with innovative filter algorithms
- Independent Drive control for each filter
- Newly designed vintage-style Bell, High/Low shelf, Notch and All-Pass filter modes have internal drive and non-linearities for authentic vintage tone
- New 6dB/oct slope
- Per-filter level and pan controls
- Limitless modulation options
- Real-time visualization of modulation
- High-quality mode with 4x Oversampling
- Curve shaping of Attack, Decay and Release Envelope Generator stages
- Envelope Follower transient detection mode
- Resizable interface with full-screen mode
- Compatible with previous Volcano presets plus includes a wide range of factory presets
- Interactive delay and filter displays
- Intuitive drag-and-drop modulation up to 50-slot modulation matrix
- Compatible with Pro-Tools hardware and control surfaces for simple integration to your existing setup
- Interactive MIDI learn makes it ideal for live performances to map to hardware controllers
- Per-component presets
- Comprehensive help files with on-screen hints
- GPU-powered graphics acceleration
- Undo, redo and A/B switch
- Intelligent parameter interpolation
- MacOS Requirements:
- System:macOS 10.12 or higher (64-bit only)
- Format: AU or VST 2/3 host or Pro Tools
- Processor: Intel or Apple Silicon processor
- Windows Requirements:
- System: Windows 10, 8, 7 or Vista (32 and 64-bit)
- Format: VST 2/3 host or Pro Tools
- Plugin Format: VST, VST3, Audio Units, AAX Native and AudioSuite
- Product code:1246-1976