View Full Description
Pure analog synthesizer with iconic Curtis filters and SEM VCFs
The OB-X8 encapsulates everything that made Tom Oberheim one of the most legendary synthesizer designers/manufacturers in the world. Featuring a 100-percent analog audio path, classic filters and two discrete SEM/OB-X VCOs per voice, the OB-X8 captures the same magic that placed Oberheim up there with the greatest instrument makers of all time. Boasting eight-voice analog polyphony and four waveform generators, the OB-X8 is a playground for sonic exploration. Equipped with a 61-key FATAR keyboard, the OB-X8 provides fluid playability and exceptional expressivity. The high-resolution OLED display allows you to navigate sounds, settings and parameters with crisp visuals.
All the classic Oberheim’s in one place
One of the most exciting and groundbreaking features of the OB-X8 is the inclusion of three distinctive voice architectures taken from the Ob-X, Ob-Xa and the OB-8. This trifecta of voices allows you to tap into the sounds and tonality that made these iconic Oberheim synthesizers so sought after. Each of the OB-series models have been faithfully recreated down to the individual filter types, providing a truly authentic Oberheim experience. You can also mix and blend between different models to create totally unique new sounds.
Page 2022 – the legacy continues
For those in the know, Page 2 unlocked the true power of the original OB-8 providing a plethora of advanced controls and parameters. Expanding on the original design, the OB-X8 now features over 40 controls including new SEM filter modes, per-voice panning, LFO keyboard tracking and much more. You can even incorporate envelope inversion and independent pulse width control for advanced sound design options. The unique expression levers are also back and enhanced for the modern era. Perfect for live performances and studio work alike, the expression levers allow you to bend notes, add vibrato and more.
Enhanced, upgraded and evolved
Building the success of the legendary OB-8, the OB-X8 features an overhauled design with a wide variety of enhancements and upgrades. One of the most prominent new features is the introduction of the ‘vintage’ knob which allows you to emulate the behaviour of vintage instruments with voice-to-voice variability. The oscillator and noise levels are now variable and there are now over 600 user-programmable preset locations to choose from. Enhance your stereo presence with the new per-program pan control. The bi-timbral capabilities of the OB-X8 allow you to utilise two presets at once via splitting and doubling. Explore the sonic capabilities of the OB-X8 through any of the 400+ factory programs and the full set of sounds from the OB-X, Ob-SX, Ob-Xa and OB-8.
Sleek design and versatile connectivity
Sleek and stylish with a vintage-style aesthetic; the Oberheim OB-X8 captures the essence of classic synthesizers complete with retro-style wooden side panels. Basing its design on the original OB-8, the OB-X8 retains the same rotary controls and buttons as the original with clearly labelled dedicated sections for modulation, oscillators, filter, volume envelope and more. Upgraded for the modern user, the OB-X8 is the first Oberheim synthesizer to feature USB connectivity, allowing you to incorporate the OB-X8 into your computer-based music production. Volume, sustain and filter inputs allow you to use external gear with the OB-X8, as well as boasting stereo/mono outputs and MIDI I/O and thru connectivity.
“I was immediately impressed with the forensic level of detail that went into the OB-X8 design and the respect for its lineage.” - Trent Reznor (Nine Inch Nails/Film Composer)
“After playing the OB-X8, I’m convinced I need it. It’s a true Oberheim, a great instrument, and a part of synth history." - Michael Stein (Composer for Stranger Things)
“My reaction to the OB-X8 was one of sheer joy. That sound was back and covers every filter type Oberheim ever employed.” - Steve Porcaro (Toto/Songwriter/Composer)
- Eight voice polyphony with saw, square/pulse, triangle and noise waveforms
- 100 percent true analog audio path provides classic warmth and grit
- Two discrete SEM/OB-X-lineage VCOs per voice
- Discrete SEM-lineage VCFs provide authentic OB-X style tone and presence
- Premium-grade Curtis filters provide classic OB-Xa/OB-8 character
- Three different voice architectures to choose from:
- Faithfully recreated filter types allow you to tap into classic Oberheim tonality and character
- Over 400 factory programs including full sound set taken from OB-X, OB-SX, OB-Xa and OB-8
- Bi-timbral capability – use two presets at the same time for splits and doubles
- Meticulously modelled envelope responses for each OB-series models (OB-X, OB-Xa and OB-8)
- 61-note FATAR keybed with velocity/touch sensitive keys and channel aftertouch
- Classic-style Pitch and Mode levers for bending notes, adding vibrato and controlling arpeggiator functions
- High-resolution OLED display provides crisp visual and access to advanced functions
- New SEM filter modes:
- Vintage knob allows for voice-to-voice variations, emulating the behaviour of classic synths/instruments
- Velocity sensitivity provides added expression for volume/filter
- Channel Aftertouch adds real-time performance-based modulation
- Enhanced unison allows variable voice stacking from 1-8 voices
- Variable triangle wave cross-modulation
- Over 600 user-programmable preset locations
- Programmable per-program pan allows wider stereo presence
- Variable oscillator and noise levels
- Arpeggiator clock
- MIDI (input and thru)
- Weight: 14.74 kg (32.5 lbs)
- Dimensions (LxWxH): 40.5 x 16.67 x 5.87 inches
- Product Code: OB-3600