View Full Description
Factory-Matched Stereo Pair
This pair of factory-matched ribbon microphones are perfect for stereo recordings. Stereo recordings are used for immersive soundstages. This sound is atmospheric, making you feel like you are in the middle of the recording. This can be used for drums, pianos, vocal ensembles and even orchestras.
Exceptional Realism and Warm Tonality
Ribbon microphone are renowned for their natural, realistic sound and warm tonality. The R-10 from Royer has optimised the sound with its own custom transducers and premium-grade components. The mono ribbon design is ideal for both studio and live performance use, thanks to its rich sound and versatile design.
At the heart of the Royer R-10 is a 2.5-micron aluminium ribbon element. The ribbon is created using Royer’s custom construction process. This involves using the patented direct-corrugation design, complete with a 3-layer windscreen. The ribbon transducer also includes a internal shock-mount, helping to minimise structure-borne noise for improved audio performance.
The integrated windscreen helps to eliminate plosives and sibilant noises, for improved audio fidelity. This also helps with recording, minimising the need for de-essing and EQing. It also helps to reduce the proximity effect when using the mic close to a sound source. This allows you to mic up guitar cabinets and acoustic instrument with less bass buildup.
Punchy and Warm Electric Guitars, Natural Brass Sound
Royer ribbon microphones are famous for micing electric guitars. It captures all the low-end punch and midrange warmth that conventional studio microphones miss. You can add high-end bite to your sound without multi-micing by incorporating an EQ.
It is also great for brass, perfect for the close-micing of trumpets and saxophones. The rich sound and exceptional warmth captures the sultry and smokey tones. It retains the natural tonality without the sizzle or harshness when recording with condenser mics.
Ideal For Vocals and Drum Micing
When it comes to drums, the R-10 delivers a full-bodied sound with added punch for the kicks. The realistic transient response and figure-8 polar pattern combine to deliver a wide soundstage. This result is atmospheric ambience and added depth for room micing.
The microphone can also be great for recording stringed instruments. Violins, acoustic guitar, banjos and even ukuleles are perfect for micing. It delivers a warm yet natural tone, that will blend into any mix seamlessly.
When it comes to vocals, the R-10 shines. The EQ-friendly design allows you to experiment with different tones and sounds. Ribbon microphone are known for their warmth, something that can be used for recording studio-grade vocals. Ribbon microphones have been used on a range of legendary songs such as There She Goes Again by Sixpence None The Richer.
Royer’s Patented Offset Ribbon Technology
One of the most unique features of the microphone is Royer’s patented offset ribbon technology. The custom design positions the ribbon element at the front of the traducer. This provides higher SPL handling on the front of the mic. It also results in a brighter response when recording lower-level sound sources such as vocals and acoustic instrument.
Durable Construction with Carry Case and Shock Mount
The all-metal construction features nickel powder coat that not only looks sleek but provides optimal durability. The ribbon element is not affected by heat or humidity, ensuring a long lifespan. The passive design and custom transformer minimises high SPL overload, protecting your ribbon element from damage.
Additionally, the microphone comes complete with a swivel microphone holder and protective mic sock. An aluminium case is also included for storing and transporting your microphone with maximum protection.
- Factory matched ribbon microphones for stereo recordings
- High-end ribbon microphone, ideal for stage and studio applications
- Ideal for recording electric and acoustic guitar, drum overheads, percussion instrument, pianos, strings, brass and vocals
- High SPL capabilities for electric guitar, brass and other close miking applications
- Multi-layered wind screen provides superior protection to ribbon element
- Internally shock-mounted ribbon transducer gives increased durability
- Passive design and custom transformer minimize high SPL overload
- Hum-bucking transducer design delivers extremely low residual noise
- Ribbon element not affected by heat or humidity
- Absence of high-frequency peaks, “ringing” and phase shifts
- Equal sensitivity from front or back of the element
- Acoustic Operating Principle: Electrodynamic pressure gradient
- Polar Pattern: Figure-8
- Generating Element: 2.5-micron aluminium ribbon
- Magnets: Rare Earth Neodymium (Grade 52)
- Frequency Response: 30Hz-15,000Hz +/- 3dB
- Sensitivity: -54dBv (re. 1v/pa)
- Output Impedance: 100 Ohms
- Maximum SPL: 135dB @ 50 Hz, 160dB @ 1kHz
- Recommended Load Impedance: 700 Ohms (or greater)
- Output Connector: Male XLR 3-pin (Pin 2 Hot)
- Dimensions: Length including mounting base: 5 7/8 inches (149 mm) Width 1 3/8 inches (35 mm)
- Weight: 13 oz (368 grams)
- Shipping Weight: 4lbs (1.8kg)
- Accessories: Microphone Holder, Mic Sock, Carrying Case
- Microphone: Adjustable Swivel Mount (Black)
- Manufacturer Warranty: Five Year, First Re-ribbon free in first year