View Full Description
Premium-grade components deliver superior sound
The Aston Microphones Origin Cardioid Condenser Microphone is one of the most remarkable cardioid condenser microphones available on the market. At the heart of the microphone is the hand-selected capsule, combined with the professional-grade transformer-less circuitry to achieve stellar audio fidelity. The Origin Microphone boasts Aston’s signature wave-form mesh head. This exclusive design provides unparalleled protection for the mic’s capsule.
The mesh head boasts a shock resistant wave-form design. It works by allowing the head of the microphone to distort, when hit hard, then instantly returning to its normal position. This helps to minimise any damage from accidental dropping, as well as providing subtle off-axis rejection, helping to remove artefacts from your recordings.
Integrated pop filter
One of the most unique and convenient features of the Aston Origin is the integrated pop filter. The mesh-knit pop filter is built into the wave-form head, helping to boost audio performance. It works by combating wind noise that you may incur from vocal recordings. This results in eliminating sibilance and plosive sounds at the source.
It also helps to shield against electromagnetic radiation, so you can use it in an electronic-heavy environment without worrying about crosstalk or sound colouration. The single-piece, mesh cage is constructed in stainless steel. This helps to keep rust at bay and it can even be removed and washed for added convenience.
Exceptional audio fidelity
The wide frequency range and premium-grade components ensure the Aston Origin picks up every nuance from your source material in immense detail. The tone it delivers is reminiscent of vintage-style condenser microphones, retaining the warmth and richness from your source material. The cardioid capsule and high SPL make the Origin one of the most well-rounded microphones available. The high SPL means it can handle recording high-level instruments, but it is primarily suited to vocal and acoustic guitar recordings. It features an integrated -10dB and low-cut filter for helping to cater to different recording situations.
End caps and chassis
Every Aston Origin Microphone features a custom finish on each chassis. The premium-grade design is tumbled for up to 4 hours, giving each of the microphone their own unique design characteristics. The individually catered designs don’t affect the sound or quality of the microphone, but help to set the microphone out from the mass-produced studio microphones.
One of the most unique design elements is the custom moulded end caps, featuring an integrated XLR and stand adapter. This allows you to mount the microphone directly to a stand via the integrated, interchangeable thread adapter. It also makes the microphone easy to maintain and repair should you need to.
''We took it along to a vocal session with a female rock vocalist... Blind testing with the artist against an AKG C12 BR showed a clear preference for the Origin, which seemed to capture the elusive ''warmth'' in the vocal without sounding muddy... In a world of large diaphragm condensers, the Origin is a refreshing twist and a superb sounding mic for a variety of tasks.'' - MusicTech.net
- Wave-form mesh head provides shock absorption to protect the capsule
- Built-in pop filter utilises the latest stainless steel mesh-knit technology
- Direct microphone stand mounting
- 2mm solid stainless steel, laser-cut and etched chassis
- Capsule - The Aston Sound - developed by professional artists, engineers and producers
- PCB - market-leading electronic design with WIMA capacitors
- Eco-friendly packaging, no unnecessary frills just well designed, re-usable and recyclable packaging
- Superbly balanced mix of discrete an integrated electronic circuitry
- Harmonised circuit stage arrangement for easy integration from phantom power input circuitry to capsule voltage bias
- Transducer Type: Condenser
- Acoustic Operating Principle: Pressure Gradient
- Directional Polar Pattern: Cardioid
- Frequency Response: 20Hz - 20kHz (±3 dB)
- Equivalent Noise Level: 18dB A-Weighted
- Sensitivity at 1kHz into 1kOhm: 23mV/Pa
- Maximum SPL for THD 0.5 : 127 dB
- Signal-to-Noise Ratio: 76 dB A-Weighted (rel. 94 dB SPL)
- Pad Switch: -10 dB/0 dB
- Low-Cut Filter: 80Hz
- 48 Volt Phantom Power: ±4 Volts Required for Operation
- Dimensions: 124.5mm x 54mm (Length x Width)
- Weight: 439g