View Full Description
Versatile Tape Delay & Looper
The Strymon Magneto is a powerhouse of a module, with its highly versatile functionality and ergonomic layout, it is ideal for live and studio applications. The main principle in designing the Magneto was to create a powerful, vintage-style tape echo & looper unit. The Magneto takes this to the next level with its wide variety of sonic capabilities and multi-purpose design. As well as being a stereo multi-head tape delay, it also functions as a looper, vintage spring reverb unit, phrase sampler, phase-aligned clock multiplier, chaotic oscillator, zero latency sub-oscillator and more, complete with an extensive range of CV connectivity. The Magneto Four Head features a four-channel configuration, designed to capture the essence of vintage tape echo machines.
The Magneto Four Head has the ability to self-oscillate, creating evolving tones that are determined by the speed/pitch control. To make this happen, you can tap in a fast delay time, push up the repeats knob and the unit will start to self-oscillate. You can then change the tone of your sound by playing with the Low Cut and Tape Age knobs. The Infinite transport button also opens up your tonal palette for added flexibility.
Spring Reverb & Phrase Sampler
One of the marks of classic tape machines is an integrated small spring reverb tank. Strymon have included this in the design of the Magneto, keeping true to the retro-style tape machines. The exceptional spring reverb unit stands out from the crowd, ideal for enhancing delayed signals. At lower levels, the reverb delivers a soft and gentle tone. When pushed to the limit, the reverb will start to bring a more brash and abrasive sound, similar to lo-fi units.
Phrase Sampler & Clock Multiplier/Divider
As well as providing vintage-style tape echo and looping capabilities, the Magneto can also function as a Phrase Sampler. The Phrase Sampler is ideal for recording short loop, capturing a loop that spans between two taps of the Tap button. To create a Phrase Sample you simply press the Tap button to start recording the sample, and again to stop. If you press the Tap button a third time, it will clear the sample memory. The Speed knob/CV will determine the pitch and speed of the sample that plays. Each of the four tape heads boast their own clock CV output. The outputs are phase aligned with the incoming Clock or Tap CV signals. When used in Echo mode with Even head spacing, the four heads provide differing speeds, with Head 1 outputs 4/1 delivering 16th notes, Head 2 outputs 2/1 providing 8th notes and so forth.
Versatile Shaping Capabilities
In addition to the comprehensive control section, the Strymon Magneto also includes a range of other sound shaping capabilities. As well as the previous functions, the Magneto also boasts the following features: tape saturation, pitch shifted delays, infinite echo, reverse, tape stop/start, audio scrubber and stereo operation. The ergonomic yet comprehensive control section features clearly annotated controls and high-quality components ensuring the module can stand the test of time. The rotary attenuator provide optimal precision over your parameter levels, allowing you to dial in your required levels with ease.
- Four-channel vintage tape echo & looping module
- Create everything from expansive soundscapes to otherworldly tones
- Add layers of harmonic and rhythmic function with an enveloping stereo field
- Captures the essence of vintage tape machines with natural saturation and more
- Can also function as a looper, phrase sampler, vintage spring reverb unit, phase-aligned clock multiplier, chaotic oscillator, zero-latency sub-oscillator and more
- Tape-voiced delay machine with four playback heads and one record head
- Processor-intense dTape algorithm delivers meticulously nuanced recreations of vintage tape echo systems
- Three operational modes: Echo, Sound On Sound Looper, Phrase Sampler
- Input record level for clean reproduction to warm, fat saturation
- Self-oscillating for tone generation
- Independent Spring Reverb
- Comprehensive control section with precision attenuators
- 100 percent dry analog path for optimal signal integrity
- Powerful SHAR ADSP-121369 processor for optimal audio performance
- Three stereo head panning options, including user-defined custom panning
- Signal To Noise: 114dB typical
- Sampling Rate: 96kHz
- Audio Input Impedance: 22 kOhm
- Maximum Audio Input Level: 20 Vpp
- Audio Output Impedance: 1 kOhm
- Maximum Audio Output Level: 20 Vpp
- Maximum Delay/Loop Time: 15 seconds at maximum Speed, two minutes at minimum Speed
- Minimum Delay Time: 200µS at maximum speed
- Clock In CV Range: 50ms – 15s
- TAP Button Range: 50ms – 15s
- TAP CV Range: 10ms – 15s
- +12V rail: 210mA
- -12V rail: 210mA
- +5V rail: 0mA
- Rack Width: 28HP
- Rack Depth: 41mm, 1.61”