View Full Description
Classic Ribbon Warmth
The Golden Age R1 MKIII is a versatile ribbon microphone, combining the classic warmth of a ribbon element, with the added reliability of a F.E.T. buffer amplifier. The wide frequency range and premium-grade ribbon element is designed to capture every nuance of your source audio in extreme detail. The focus on sonic accuracy is further accentuated by the buttery-like tone that the ribbon microphone provides, resulting in a warm and full-bodied sound. The active circuitry means you can use the R1 MK3 with a wide range of microphone preamps, as well as using longer cable runs while maintaining optimal audio fidelity.
Versatile Recording Applications
The stunning realism the R1 Mk3 provides results in exceptional audio quality, ideal for studio recordings. Its high SPL capability of 150dB, is one of the highest sensitivity’s available for ribbon microphones, ensuring you can use it with a wide range of audio sources. The integrated bipolar/FET discrete low-noise amplifier features a low impedance transformerless output stage, isolating the ribbon and gain make-up transformer from outside disruption. It boasts a figure-8 directional pattern for wider sweet spots and side rejection. Its premium-grade components make the microphone highly suited to recording drum overheads, strings, choirs, acoustic instruments and more. As well as being great for the studio, the microphone is also ideal for live applications such as performances.
10dB Pad & Low-Cut Filter
One of the most unique features of this active ribbon mic is the integrated 10dB Pad and Low-Cut Filter. These two switchable parameters add to the flexibility of the microphone, allowing you to cater to different audio sources and recording environments. The Low-Cut filter is ideal for recording vocals, removing the low-end from your microphone for a cleaner and more defined high-end, with minimal need for external processing. The 10dB Pad is also great for recording higher-level audio sources such as drums and louder instruments, ensuring the microphone doesn’t overload the circuit.
Design & Construction
This retro-style ribbon microphone is reminiscent of ribbon microphones from the late 70s and early 80s, basing its design on classic microphones. The adjustable cradle that surrounds the microphone is used for positioning. The adjustable sides allow you to find the perfect position every time for optimal audio performance. It features a sleek, black finish with the Pad and Low-Cut Filter built-in to the front of the microphone in the form of a two-position switch. Additionally, the microphone comes complete with a detachable microphone cable and a soft case for transporting and storing your microphone for added protection..
- The unmatched natural and musical sound of a classical ribbon microphone combined with the consistent audio quality offered by the active circuitry
- Stunning realism with the feeling of ‘being-there’
- Typical large and mellow ribbon audio quality with smooth top end and extended low end
- Fast and life-like transient reproduction
- Bipolar/FET discrete low-noise amplifier with a low impedance transformerless output stage
- Powered by standard 48V Phantom power
- Switchable -10 dB Pad and 100 Hz Low Cut filter
- High SPL capability, 150dB SPL and high sensitivity for a ribbon microphone
- Figure-8 directional pattern for wide sweet spots in the front and back of the microphone, with side rejection
- 50mm long ribbon made of 2 microns thick aluminium foil
- Internal shock mount for the ribbon and magnet assembly
- Removable microphone cable and soft padded case
- Can be used with any standard mixer/preamp with a balanced input that can supply 48V Phantom Power
- Type: Large ribbon geometry, pure aluminium, 2 um thick, 50 x 5 mm size with active electronics
- Polar Pattern: Figure 8
- Sensitivity: -40 dBA/pA @ 1Khz
- Equivalent Noise Level (A-Weighted per IEC 268-4): < 17 dB typical
- Maximum SPL @ 1 kHz: 150 dB
- Output Impedance: 50 Ohm, balanced
- Recommended Load Impedance: > 1000 ohms
- Current Consumption: 4 mA
- Dimensions: 69 x 185mm
- Weight: 850g