View Full Description
The Golden Age Project COMP-54 MKII brings vintage-style compression into the modern era with discrete class-A circuitry and a flexible control section. This single-channel configuration features transformer balanced line input and output connections. Before integrated circuits became available, the vintage compressors were comprised of components such as resistors, capacitors and transistors. This is what lends to the vintage-sound, giving that classic analog warmth and grit associated with older compression units. The internal circuitry is inspired and similar to the classic 2254 compressor, reducing a warm yet smooth, full-bodied sound.
Flexible Control Panel With Sidechaining
The in-depth control section is comprised of precision attenuators designed for changing the Ratio, Attack and Release settings. All the controls on the compressor except the Gain make-up control one are stepped for precise and trackable changes. The control section is comprised of Threshold, Ratio, Attack, Release, HPF, Gain and a Link control. The HPF control adds a high pass filter within the sidechain circuitry. These results in the frequencies below the filter cutoff to trigger compression at a lesser degree. This can be great for drums and vocals, acting as a cushion for a smoother and more rounded sound.
Design & Connectivity
The robust yet sleek all-metal chassis is built-to-last, basing its design on classic vintage-style compressors. One of the most prominent features of the design is the integrated, vintage-style VU meter which provides visual monitoring for your levels. The meter is also selectable, allowing you to toggle between Output and Gain Reduction settings. The versatile design also allows you to upgrade transformers with ease, should you want to use an external transformer. Its flexible design is suited to a wide range of input sources from microphone to electric guitars, basses, pianos and more. Additionally, the compressor comes complete with an external power supply, minimising interaction with the audio circuitry and transformers for strong signal integrity.
- Vintage style electronics
- Based on classic diode bridge designs
- Transformer balanced I/O´s
- Prepared for transformer upgrade
- Flexible control range for Ratio, Attack and Release
- All controls except the Gain make-up one are stepped
- Three selectable Sidechain filter frequencies
- Separate Bypass and Compression IN/OUT switches
- Meter selectable for Output and Gain Reduction
- Possibility to Link two units for stereo operation
- Separate in- and output XLR and TRS jacks for flexible connections
- Back panel switch for 600 Ohm termination
- External power supply to avoid interaction with the audio circuitry and the transformers
- Great sound that suits most sound sources and genres
- A solid build quality that will last many years of normal use
Your order may contain items that use a 240V UK plug
Any electrical items in your order may have been designed to work with a 240V circuit, using a United Kingdom G type plug connection. An adapter or transformer may be required for these items to work properly and safely in your country. Some items work with a range of voltages, or have a switchable voltage control built in. Please refer to the specific product details for further information.