View Full Description
Innovative Nearfield Monitoring
The Focal Shape 65 Studio Monitor is a compact, nearfield studio monitor featuring a unique design with a side firing, 5-inch double passive radiator. The 1-inch M-Shaped aluminium/magnesium inverted dome tweeter combines with the 6-inch Flax sandwich cone woofer to deliver an extended low-end range. The Focal Shape 65 is designed without a port so it can be placed near a wall. The superior-grade technology provides transparent, un-coloured sound, ideal for mixing & mastering applications.
Exceptional Audio Fidelity
The 6-inch Flax sandwich cone provides optimal low-end response thanks to the high-quality flax fibre core enclosed between two thin layers of fibre glass. The result is high internal damping combined with exceptional sound velocity and flexural rigidity. The sandwich technology methods used to create these Flax sandwich cone provides optimal neutrality of sound, ideal for mixing and referencing audio. At the heart of the Shape studio monitor are two Class AB amplifiers that power the drivers for optimal audio performance. The result is controlled and articulated bass as well as detailed mid-range response. The 1-inch M-shaped aluminium/magnesium inverted dome tweeter provides exceptional high-end detail, combining with the Flax sandwich cone to provide a natural yet rich sound.
One of the most unique features included in the Focal Shape range is the TMD (Tune Mass Damper). The damper surrounds the edge of the Flax sandwich cone woofer, stabilising the dynamics behaviour according resonance, this avoids deformation of the cone without affecting the dynamics. This patented technology is used in earthquake-resistant skyscrapers and racing car's suspensions to provide added resistance to the resonance frequency to control it. The result is minimised fatigue of the woofer cone over time, providing a natural and rich mid-range.
NIC – Neutral Inductance
Another unique technology incorporated into the Focal Shape’s design is the NIC (Neutral Inductance Circuit Technology) providing an incredible stable magnet circuit. The custom Faraday ring used to achieve this has been optimised using custom materials, dimensions and positioning to ensure the magnetic field no longer affects the positioning of the voice coil. In turn, this ensures the highest-definition audio fidelity and performance possible. The result is high definition audio that doesn’t compromise the dyanmics/contrast.
Design & Construction
The Focal Shape Nearfield Studio Monitor is enclosed in a MDF cabinet with natural walnut veneer, which not only looks sleek but provides added acoustic qualities. The rear of the unit features numerous settings for optimal integration including a releasable high-pass filter, adjustable crossover (at 160Hz) and adjustable bass and treble. These attenuation controls allow you to cater to any space or room for optimal audio quality and listening position. The enclosure also features thread for ceiling and wall mounts (fastening accessories not included).
- Bi-amplified, nearfield studio monitor
- Low tweeter directivity for a flexible listening position
- Designed without a port allowing it to be placed near a wall
- Numerous settings for optimal integration
- Accurate control, even in the very high end
- Flax sandwich cone: controlled and articulated bass, natural and detailed lower mid-range and upper mid-range registers.
- Threads for ceiling and wall mounts (fastening accessories not supplied)
- Frequency response (+/-3dB): 40Hz - 35kHz
- Maximum SPL (musical signal): 109dB SPL (peak @ 1m)
- Inputs/Impedance Type: XLR: balanced 10kOhms
- Inputs/Impedance Connectors: RCA: unbalanced 10kOhms with sensitivity compensation
- Midrange & Low Frequency Amplifier: 80W, class AB
- High frequency amplifier: 25W, class AB
- Automatic Standby:
- Standby On: After approximately 30 minutes with no signal
- Standby Off: Signal detection > 3 mV
- Electrical Supply:
- Voltages: 220-240V (T1AL / 250V fuse) or 100-120V (T2AL / 250V fuse)
- Connection: IEC plug and detachable power cord
- High Pass Filter: Adjustable Full range 45/60/90Hz
- Bass: (0 - 250Hz) Adjustable, +/-6dB
- Midrange/Bass: (160Hz, Q=1) Adjustable, +/-3dB
- High (4.5 - 35kHz): Adjustable, +/-3dB
- Power On/Power Off: On/off switch on rear-panel
- Standby Consumption: < 0.5 W
- Display and Controls: LED for power on/off and standby
- Woofer: 6.5" (16.5 cm) Flax Cone
- Tweeter: 1" (25mm) 'M' profile Aluminum-Magnesium
- Construction: 0.6" (12mm) MDF
- Finish: Vinyl, real walnut and black painting
- Dimensions (with four rubber feet): 14 x 8.6 x 11.2" (355 x 218 x 285mm)
- Weight: 28.2lb (8.5kg)
Your order may contain items that use a 240V UK plug
Any electrical items in your order may have been designed to work with a 240V circuit, using a United Kingdom G type plug connection. An adapter or transformer may be required for these items to work properly and safely in your country. Some items work with a range of voltages, or have a switchable voltage control built in. Please refer to the specific product details for further information.