View Full Description
Universal Audio 6176 Vintage Channel Strip
Combining the wonderful all-tube sounds of the legendary Bill Putnam-designed 610 microphone preamp with the signature FET compression of Universal Audio's 1176LN, the 6176 Vintage Channel Strip is a fantastic package of warm, smooth tones in a great mic preamp design. Having been employed to record everyone from Frank Sinatra to Van Halen I, the unique characteristics of the compressor, have made this a preamp for professional studios.
The 6176 boasts easy controls has become a choice amongst heavyweights like Vance Powell and Joe Chiccarelli, artists including Chris Martin of Coldplay, Norah Jones, Wyclef Jean, and James Mercer of The Shins. Use the simple switch to "Split" or "Join the preamp.
2-610 Microphone and Instrument Preamplifier
This channel strip features the 2-610 microphone and instrument preamplifier, called by Michael Cooper (Mix Magazine) "hands-down, the most dimensional mic preamp I've ever heard". The engineer/producer Peter Wade, who has worked with acts ranging from Wyclef Jean to Jennifer Lopez, said simply, "This box rocks." The 6176's mic preamp sections maintains the quality and character of the 2-610 while adding high-tension power regulation for improved bass response and a front-panel 15db pad switch.
"All the vocals on the Adele tracks I produced were recorded through the Universal Audio 6176, so you can credit Adele's bright and crystal-clear, dulcet tones to the UA preamp and compressor."
Paul Epworth - Producer of the Year 2012 (Adele, Foster the People)
"If I could only have one piece of gear, I would choose the 6176 hands down. I NEED it."
Matt Appleton - Foxy Shazam
"The 6176 is my favorite for getting big warm tones from bowed cello and bass, as well as clean guitar textures."
Charlie Clouser - NIN, "Saw" Soundtracks
- All-tube mic preamp section derived from legendary Bill Putnam-designed 610 modular console
- Signature 1176LN Class A FET compressor section - heard on countless hit records for more than 30 years
- "Split" or "Join" switch allows separate or series operation of the preamp and compressor
- High and Low frequency shelving EQ
- Variable impedance Input, Gain, and Output levels
- Mic, balanced Line, and Hi-Z inputs
- Ultra-quiet operation
- Stereo interconnection via 1176-SA
- Microphone Input Impedance: Selectable, 500 (ohms) or 2k
- Balanced Line Input Impedance: 20k
- Hi-Z Input Impedance: Selectable between 2.2 M or 47 k
- Maximum Microphone Input Level: +18 dBu (2k input impedance and 15 dB Pad in)
- Maximum Output Level: +20 dBm
- Internal Output Impedance: 80
- Recommended Minimum Load: 600
- Frequency Response: 20 Hz to 20 kHz +0, -1 dB
- Maximum Gain: 65 dB (500 input impedance)
- Signal-to-Noise Ratio: > 90 dB (@ maximum gain)
- Input Impedance: Selectable, 15k (ohms) or 600
- Output Load Impedance: 600 (floating)
- Frequency Response: 20 Hz to 20 kHz ± 1 dB
- Gain: 40 dB, ± 1 dB
- Distortion: > 0.5 T.H.D. from 50 Hz - 15 kHz
with limiting, at 1.1 seconds release setting.
Output of +22 dBm with no greater than 0.5 T.H.D.
- Signal-to-Noise Ratio: > 75 dB
- Attack Time: Adjustable, from 20 to 800 milliseconds
- Release Time: Adjustable, from 50 milliseconds to 1.1 seconds
- Stereo Interconnection: Optional, using 1176SA stereo interconnect accessory
- Tube Complement: (1) 12AX7A, (1) 12AT7A
- Power Requirements: 115V/230V
- Power Connector: Detachable IEC power cable.
- Fuse: 400 mA time delay (slow blow) / 115 V
200 mA time delay (slow blow) / 230 V
- Power Indicator Light: 28 V bulb (type 1819)
- Width: 19"
- Height: 3.5"
- Depth: 12.25" (Two Rack Unit)
- Weight: 5.44 Kg
Your order may contain items that use a 240V UK plug
Any electrical items in your order may have been designed to work with a 240V circuit, using a United Kingdom G type plug connection. An adapter or transformer may be required for these items to work properly and safely in your country. Some items work with a range of voltages, or have a switchable voltage control built in. Please refer to the specific product details for further information.