View Full Description
A Vintage Icon
From 1959 to the present day, the 545 and its Unidyne III capsule has brought ideas to life on countless stages and recordings. Its sophisticated pneumatic shockmount system lets artists perform exactly the way they want to without having to worry about the nightmare of handling noise. The mic's unique blend of technical genius combined with the 545's elegant handheld design is what helped the 545 become an instant classic, forming the basis for Shure's legendary SM series.
Now this piece of history can be a part of your collection. The Shure 545SD Classic Unidyne Microphone gives you that revered sound and feel with a few tweaks to meet the demands of modern technology. With its wide-range reproduction that's perfect for instruments and vocals, you can capture the sonic details of your sound source with precision and warmth. The 545SD boasts striking looks and a slender form-factor that make it ideal for use on stage, whilst its unidirectional polar pattern helps to combat feedback and off-axis sound pickup. There's a reason that this legendary microphone has been produced for over half a century.
Selectable Dual-Impedance Design
One unique feature that gives this legendary microphone its adaptability is its switchable impedance. The 545SD comes pre-configured for low impedance use, making it ideal for connecting to mic inputs rated at 19 to 300 Ohms, as well as driving long cable runs. Following the instructions in the mic's user manual, you can quickly and easily switch the mic to high impedance mode, allowing you to reliably connect to higher impedance inputs. This makes the 545SD ideal for use with a diverse range of equipment both on stage and in the studio.
545SD vs SM57 - What's the difference?
They boast an almost identical physical design, they share the same capsule and polar pattern, and they both have very similar stated frequency responses. But what makes these two legendary microphones different? And which one is more suited to your needs?
Unlike the SM57, the 545SD offers switchable impedance. With the ability to choose between Low Impedance and High Impedance modes on the fly, the 545SD can be easily interfaced with a huge variety of equipment with ease. It also allows you to capture a wide variety of sources without having to worry about dramatic tonal differences due to mis-matched impedances.
Another difference is the addition of a handy on/off switch on the 545SD which the SM57 doesn't have. This enables you to quickly silence the microphone whenever it's not in use. You can even lock the switch in the on position with the integrated locking plate, to remove the risk of accidentally switching the mic off at any point. The switch itself offers silent operation, meaning there are no horrible pops when switching the mic on or off.
And finally, the tonal differences. Even though the SM57 and 545SD use the same capsule and feature very similar overall frequency responses, they each have their own unique sound. The 545SD tends to have a slightly more pronounced high-end response when compared to the SM57, making it a perfect choice when you're looking to bring out a bit more presence in your sound.
In the Box
- 1 x Shure 545SD Classic Unidyne Instrument Microphone
- 1 x Microphone Clip
- Exceptionally uniform cardioid polar pattern minimizes feedback
- Selectable dual-impedance operation
- Silent on/off switch with lock option
- Dynamic moving coil capsule
- Frequency response ranging from 50Hz to 15kHz
- Transducer Type: Dynamic
- Polar Pattern: Cardioid
- Frequency Response: 50Hz - 15kHz, tailored
- Impedance: Dual
- Microphone rating impedance is 150 Ohms (250 Ohms actual) for connection to microphone inputs rated at 19 to 300 Ohms, and 'High' for connection to high-impedance microphone inputs. Wired for low impedance as supplied. Can be switched to high impedance following the instructions in the 545SD User Manual
- Output Level: Open circuit voltage, at 1kHz
- Low Impedance: -58dB (1.3mV)
- High Impedance: -35dB (17.6mV)
- Sensitivity: -58dBV/Pa - 1.30mV/Pa
- Polarity: Positive pressure on diaphragm produces positive voltage on pin-2 with respect to pin-3
- Switch: Integrated magnetic reed on/off switch with lockplate
- To lock switch in the ON position, remove screw on lockplate and turn lockplate 180°. Reassemble and tighten screw
- Cartridge Shock Mount: Internal rubber vibration isolator
- Connector: 3-pin XLR
- Housing: Chrome-plated die casting with ARMO-DUR grille and stainless steel screen
- Weight: 255g (without cable)