When the classic MS-20 analog synthesizer appeared in 1978, it had a trusted partner in the SQ-10 step sequencer. Now, after thirty years, the MS-20 has been reborn as the MS-20 mini, and the SQ-10 has evolved into the more modern SQ-1.
Liberate yourself from the numerically-bound parameter editing that's typical on a DAW; you'll enjoy truly musical inspiration as you train your ears and concentrate on what your fingertips are doing. Don't miss the experience of music that's driven by your instinct.
- Connect and control the MS-20 and many other types of equipment
- A variety of sequencer modes
- Step edit buttons inherited from the volca, providing excellent improvisatory possibilities
- Sturdy and compact body, with battery operation
Connect and control the MS-20 and many other types of equipment
Rather than the commonly used V/Oct standard, the CV design of the MS-20 always used the Hz/V standard that provides excellent pitch stability limiting the step sequencers that are able to correctly control the MS-20. As a descendant of the SQ-10, the SQ-1 supports the Hz/V standard, enabling it to perfectly control the MS-20 or MS-20 mini. It goes without saying the V/Oct standard is also supported, and the voltage level of the CV output (V/Oct supported for 1V, 2V, and 5V; Hz/V supported for 8V) and polarity of the GATE output can be specified as appropriate for the device you've connected. This versatility will enable you to control a wide variety of other synthesizers as well.
As a connector, the SQ-1 provides two CV/GATE OUT channels, the standard MIDI OUT and USB MIDI, littleBits out (to connect to the littleBits synth kit by littleBits Electronics Inc.), plus the SYNC IN/OUT channel that allows you to connect to the volca series and monotribe. Compact and complete with all the functions you need, the SQ-1 is the ideal hardware sequencer.
Versatile sequencer modes
The SQ-1 provides two channels (A and B) of 8-step sequencer that can operate consecutively, or be used in a variety of other modes. For example, you can run A and B following each other to function as a 16-step sequencer, ignore the order and make the steps play randomly, or use A and B to control different parameters as they run in parallel. From simple sequences to complex changes, you can choose from a variety of modes to suit your needs.
Step buttons inherited from the volca provide excellent improvisatory possibilities
The 2 x 8 step buttons can be used in the usual way to turn notes on/off, but you can also use the MODE button to switch their function, opening up powerful possibilities such as letting you "perform" the sequence itself, as on a volca unit.
"Active Step" lets you skip steps mid-way through a sequence, and "Step Jump" lets you instantly play just the step that you press, producing irregular rhythms or effects that are reminiscent of short loops. "Slide" produces an effect in which steps are connected smoothly; using this to control a synth bass is an easy way for anyone to generate an acid sound.
Sturdy and compact body, with battery operation
Packed with carefully selected functionality, the SQ-1 features a compact and very sturdy sheet-metal body. Placed beside the MS-20 series, you'll notice a sense of solidity that gives the impression they were manufactured in the same era. The unit can operate on two AA batteries or on USB bus power.
- Sequence step resolution is selectable as quarter notes, eighth notes, or 16th notes.
- You can specify the way in which the step knobs control the pitch. The knob values can specify the pitch directly, or they can specify the closest note in a major, minor, or chromatic scale.
- Sequencer Modes: 8 Selectable Modes
- Parallel Turn
- Parallel Order
- CV/Duty Random
- Step Mode: 4 Selectable Modes
- Gate On/Off
- Active Step
- Step Jump
- Sequence Step Resolution:
- Quarter Notes
- Eighth Notes
- Sixteenth Notes
- CV Out Pitch:
- CV Out Voltage:
- Gate Polarity: Positive Polarity/Negative Polarity
- Sync In/Out Polarity: Rise/Fall
- LittleBits Out Jack: Mini Monaural Phone Jack
- MIDI Out: Mini Stereo Phone Jack
- CV - A Out - Gate: Mini Monaural Phone Jack
- CV - B Out - Gate: Mini Monaural Phone Jack
- In - Sync - Out: Mini Monaural Phone Jack
- USB: Type B, USB MIDI
- Power Supply: Two AA Batteries or USB Power
- Battery Life: Approximately 5 Hours (When Using Alkaline Batteries)
- Dimensions: 193mm x 84mm x 63mm / 7.60'' x 3.31'' x 2.48'' (W x D x H)
- Weight: 641g / 1.41lbs
- Included Accessories: Two AA Batteries and Mini Plug DIN Cable