View Full Description
Analog Patchable Logic Computer
The BASTL Instruments bitRanger Patchable Analog Logic Computer is a compact and highly versatile standalone synth unit. The bitRanger includes a VCO oscillator that’s synced to the HFO oscillator, delivering that classic analog warmth and grit. This allows a veritable range of sounds, ranging from gritty square-like synths to melodic arpeggios and more. It also features a integrated speaker, allowing you to create sounds without any external equipment; and whilst on the move.
The LFO clock oscillator allows for rhythmical modulation, allowing you to create patterns, rhythms and sequences on the fly. There are 4 operation modes in total, which are selectable by two separate switches. The bitRanger Standalone Synth comes complete with 4 photo resistor, allowing you to make your oscillators respond to light by installing these into the Bend socket. The versatile modulation options, allow you to create cutting-edge sounds on the fly.
Patch Bay Connectivity
One of the most versatile section of the bitRanger is the comprehensive patch bay. This patch bay includes 118 jumper cable patch points, with each oscillator boasting 3 differently slewed CV inputs, rate knob, bend points and sync inputs. The Divider Bits section allows you to use clocks running at different speeds to create interesting patterns. You can also use the MUX 1 and MUX 2 inputs to modulate data loops and waveforms. One of the most interesting features of the patchbay is the BYTE CV section, which acts as a R2R DAC converters, taking bits and converting them to CV.
Design & Construction
The compact yet robust design of the BASTL Instruments bitRanger makes it highly portable, great for synth lovers on the move. The wooden side panels and metal face-plate ensures optimal durability, ideal for use on the road. Its compact design means it is also great for both studio and live applications. The unit includes a 3.5mm stereophonic headphone output for private listening, as well as CV and Clock I/O for optimal versatility. It comes complete with a 9V DC center positive power supply input and a 9V battery compartment at the bottom.
- LFO clock oscillator for rhythmical modulation
- VCO oscillator is synced to the HFO oscillator
- 4 modes of operation selectable by 2 switches
- Built in speaker with volume control
- 9V DC center positive power supply input
- 9V battery compartment from the bottom
- <20mA power draw on headphones, < 60mA with speaker (minimum 20 hours on battery)
- On /Off switch
- Expansion connector
- Package includes 3 photo resistors – make your oscillators respond to light by plugging these into the Bend socket
- 118 jumper cable patch points
- Each oscillator has 3 differently slewed CV inputs, sync inputs, rate knob and bend points
- Divider Bits section – use clocks at different speed to create patterns
- Adventure Bits section adds irregular rhytmical elements
- MUX 1 and MUX 2 input sections to modulate data loops and waveforms
- Stereophonic output from MUX 1 and MUX2 sections
- BYTE CV section is R2R DAC converter which takes bits and converts them to CV
- DATA modulation section witch a switch adds more flavour
- Utility Belt section adds advanced features
- Left and Right audio override section
For more information on the BASTL Instruments bitRanger please refer to the PDF above.
- 3.5mm stereophonic headphone output
- Clock Input to sync the LFO oscillator
- Clock Output with selectable LFO division (2 or 32)
- CV Output from the BYTE DAC section
- CV Input for the VCO
- CV In and CV Out connectors can be routed to dedicated patch points on the patchbay