View Full Description
Pocket-size audio recorder, interface and mixer
A trilogy of devices in one. The Sound Devices MixPre 3 MK2 is perfect for a range of applications, from music production and recording to live-streaming, podcasting and more. At the heart of the MixPre 3 are three ultra-low-noise Kashmir microphone preamps, complete with adjustable limiters. These premium-grade preamps deliver exceptional audio fidelity, capturing your audio sources with the utmost sonic accuracy, resulting in pristine sound.
The 5-in, 2-out audio interface allows you to stream to your computer via USB-C. You can choose from a wide range of bit-depths and sampling rates. The bit depth has been enhanced, moving on from the original with up to 32-bit float for increased dynamic range. You can even record up to five tracks to an SD card and back it up to a USB thumb drive, ensuring you always get the take you want.
High-resolution audio – record up to 192kHz
The MixPre 3 delivers superior sound performance thanks to its ability to capture audio resolutions ranging up to 192kHz. You can choose between a range of bit-rates to suit your needs. Select between bit depths ranging from 16 to 32-bit float and sampling rates from 44.1 kHz to 192kHz.
From field audio and capturing sound effects to voice-overs and audio for film, the MixPre 3 can aid you in your musical journey. The ultra-flexible design provides the means to record internally to a compatible SD card, or even stream your recordings over USB. It even features low-cut filters for tidying up your audio and eliminating background rumbles and unwanted noise. You can also trigger a camera using the built-in timecode generator, or feed timecodes in via the HDMI or AUX input.
On-the-fly mixes and headphone amplification
Another thing that sets the MixPre 3 apart from other interfaces is the integrated headphone amplifier and mixer. You can create mixes on the fly, without the need for software using the built-in 3 x 2 portable mixer. The integrated mixer is perfect for live-streaming and podcasting, allowing you to achieve the best possible sound using onboard controls. For instance, in an interview situation you can use the mixer to seamlessly control the volumes of each participant, making for clear and crisp audio.
The powerful 300 mW+300 mW headphone amp delivers crystal-clear sound, ideal for monitoring your audio whilst recording. Other onboard controls include ISO mixing, gain, pan low-cut, phase inversion and Phantom Power.
Adjustable limiters and colour touch screen
Easily monitor your audio sources using the colour touch screen and LED meters. The crisp and clear touch screen allows you to get hands-on with your interactions. The screen is also designed to be readable even in the harshest sunlight, allowing you to monitor your settings even when in the field.
The built-in adjustable limiters ensure you get a useable take every time. You can use it to capture high-quality audio anywhere you go. There is even a USB-A connection for use with control surfaces and keyboards. The ultra-flexible design makes it perfect for virtually any recording/audio application.
Rugged, compact and lightweight with battery operation
The compact and rugged design make the MixPre 3 one of the most portable audio recorders/interfaces on the market. The palm-sized interface can easily fit within your backpack and even in some larger pockets. The ultra-rugged enclosure provides maximum durability, easily withstanding the wear-and-tear it may face in the field or on the road. You can even mount it to a tripod or camera thanks to the built-in mounting thread.
To add to its portability, the MixPre 3 can be powered in a number of ways. You can power the unit via your computer, wall outlet (MX-PSU included) and even using batteries. Should you want to record wherever you go, you can use AA or Sony L-mount batteries.
- Three ultra-low-noise Kashmir microphone preamps with adjustable limiters capture high quality audio in the field, on set, or with a computer
- Create a mix using the built-in 3 x 2 portable mixer
- Record up to 5 tracks to an SD card and backup to a USB thumb drive
- 5-in, 2-out USB audio interface streams to your computer via USB-C
- Choose bit depths from 16 to 32-bit float, and sampling rates from 44.1 kHz to 192 kHz
- Internal LTC timecode generator. Timecode In/Out via Aux In/Stereo Out
- Timecode and record triggering via HDMI
- USB-A for control surfaces, keyboards, and auto-copy to USB drive
- In-unit ISO mixing, gain, pan, low-cut, phase inversion, and phantom power
- Sunlight-readable colour touch screen and LED metering
- Lightweight, durable, and small: perfect for bag use, mobile recording, or a home studio
- Powerful 300 mW+300 mW headphone amp allows clear and accurate reference of audio
- Includes a MX-4AA Battery Sled (batteries not included), MX-PSU AC Power Supply, and USB-C to USB-C cable
- Customize with plugins from the Plugin Store
- Frequency Response: 10 Hz to 80 kHz +/- 0.5 dB re 1 kHz @ 192 kHz sample rate
- THD + Noise: 0.005 percent max (@1 kHz, 22-22 kHz BW, gain= 20 dB, -10 dBu in)
- ADC: 32-bit precision; 142 dB dynamic range min (A weighted, gain = 10 dB, fader = 0 dB)
- Equivalent Input Noise: -130 dBV (-128 dBu) max (A-weighting, gain = 76 dB, 150 ohm source impedance)
- Mic: XLR active-balanced; 4k input
- Line: XLR active-balanced; 4k input
- Aux/Mic in: 3.5 mm TRS, 2-channel unbalanced; 100k input
- USB Audio: 2 channels
- Mic Input: +6 dB to +76 dB
- Line Input: -20 dB to +30 dB
- Fader: -inf to +20 dB
- Headphone -inf to +20 dB
- Total, Mic-to-recording (max): +96 dB
- Aux In (Mic):M Gain = +10 dB to +40 dB
- Aux In (Line): Gain = -10 dB to +20 dB
- Total Aux Gain including Fader (Mic-to-recording): +60 dB
- Maximum Input Level:
- Mic XLR: +14 dBu (limiters on or off)
- Line XLR/¼-inch: +28 dBu (limiters on or off)
- Aux In (Mic): -10 dBu
- Aux In (Line): +10 dBu
- Low Cut Filters: 40 Hz to 160 Hz (adjustable), 18 dB/oct. First stage analog, subsequent stages digital
- Limiters: Limiter at all gain stages, range > 40dB. First stage analog, subsequent stages digital. Adjustable Threshold, Ratio, and Release.
- DAC feeding Stereo Out, Headphone Out: 32 bit precision; 115 dB dynamic range (A-weighted)
- L/R Out: 3.5 mm TRS stereo unbalanced, 500 ohm output impedance, +7.8 dBu max output level
- Headphones Out: 3.5 mm TRS stereo unbalanced, 300 mW + 300 mW, for use with any impedance headphones
- Audio Interface (USB-C): 5-in/2-out (from computer); 44.1 kHz/48 kHz/96 kHz; 16/24-bit; Class-compliant USB 2.0 high speed driver
- Mass Storage (USB-C): USB 2.0 high speed
- Keyboard (USB-A): Text entry and control
- Thumbdrive (USB-A): Manual or auto-copy to drive
- MIDI: MIDI Control Surface (USB-A)
- Maximum Record Tracks: 5 Tracks Stereo mix + 3 ISO's
- Sampling Frequencies: 44.1 kHz, 47.952 kHz, 48 kHz, 48.048 kHz, 96 kHz, 192 kHz
- Bit Depth: 16, 24, 32 Float
- Recording Storage:
- Type: SD, SDXC, SDHC Card, & USB thumbdrive (copy only)
- Max Storage Size: 512 GB (SDXC)
- Card Format: exFAT
- File Type: Polyphonic WAV
- Dimensions: 36 mm x 144 mm x 110 mm (H x W x D); 1.40” x 5.68” x 4.35”
- Weight:.48 kg; 16.8 oz. (unpackaged, without batteries)