View Full Description
High-End Mastering Compressor
The SPL Iron is one of the most comprehensive mastering compression units available on the market, providing unparalleled control over every aspect of your compression process. At the heart of the unit is a variable bias tube compressor with a parallel dual tube circuit. The sharp cut-off tube and medium-variable bias triode makes up the circuit design. The result is a well-balanced sound that can be easily controlled. The parallel connected tubes are specially matched for the SPL Iron, ensuring optimal performance value. The tubes are tested using the Weigl Roe Test for PC to ensure the best possible performance and quality.
120V Rail Technology
One of the most unique features of the SPL Iron Mastering Compressor is the optimised 120V Rail Technology. This high-end reference technology is twice the power of discrete op amps and four-time the power of semiconductor op amps. The Rail Technology provides outstanding technical and sonic performance, ensuring optimal audio quality at every step. The result is natural sound that minimises hearing fatigue.
Custom Mu-Metal Transformers
Custom-made balanced dual-coil mu-metal iron transformers operate in the signal flow of the variable-bias tubes, adding to the overall sound. The feed-forward resistive opto-isolator works in conjunction with the transformers, limiting signal peaks, resulting in a smaller THD at the variable-bias tube section. The resulting sound is silky and smooth, retaining the natural harmonics of your source audio, whilst improving the tonal characteristics.
Feed Forward & Rectifier Controls
The SPL Iron Mastering Compressor works as a feedback compressor when set to the tube circuit, as well as a feed-forward compressor when set to the opto-control circuit. The Rectifier section is the basis for tube control. The six-position switch provides more than enough settings for controlling the characteristics curves of the diodes within it. The combined germanium, silicon and LED diodes provide different behaviours for the Attack and Release times for added flexibility.
Another innovative feature is the Sidechain EQ controls. The control consists of four different EQ settings or the choice to select an external EQ unit. The four EQ presets utilise a complex frequency response for differing program material. The control signal is affected, with the actual audio signal remaining intact. The signal can be boosted or attenuated up to +/-12dB using the Output Gain, making it easy to integrate with signal chains. There is an additional EQ presets on the output signal to add the finishing touches. The AirBass mode is designed to gentle boost the high and low-end with approx. 2dB. The Tape Roll-Off settings utilises a high and low-cut filter to emulate the frequency response of a tape machine.
Design & Construction
The military-like design of the SPL Iron makes it one of the most robust mastering compressors on the market. The compression powerhouse places all its major feature on the front-panel of the unit. With two channels of symmetrical controls, the SPL Iron is ideal for a wide range of applications. Dedicated controls are included for all functions including Attack, Release, Input, Output SideChain EQs, Rectifier and lastly the large Threshold controls. Each large Threshold dial is accompanied by a vintage-style VU meter that provides precise monitoring for all your levels. The robust all-metal chassis is also rack-mountable, ideal as the centrepiece in any mastering studio.
- Variable bias tube compressor
- Parallel dual tube circuit
- Tube selection and pairing with Weigl Roe Test
- Specially conceived Mu-Metal iron transformers
- Feed-forward resistive vactrol-opto-isolator
- Six different Rectifier settings available
- Sidechain that allows you to choose between Off, four sidechain-filter presets or an external sidechain signal.
- All functions can be adjusted via switches or, in the case of the Threshold, with a detented potentiometer
- In Link mode, the Threshold, Tube Bias, Attack, Release, and Rectifier parameters, as well as the Sidechain EQs, are controlled with the right side (channel 2) of the unit.
- Additional passive 120V equalizer with two presets
- High Dynamic 120V operating voltage
- Auto Bypass mode
For more information on the SPL Iron, please refer to the PDF above.
- Frequency Range (40 kHz = -3 dB):10 Hz - 40 kHz
- CMRR (bei 0 dBu):1 kHz: > 80 dB / 10 kHz: > 65 dB
- THD & N (0 dBu): > 82 dB
- Noise (A-weighted): -98 dBu
- Total Harmonic Distortion:
- -10 dBu:
- 0,3 at 100 Hz
- 0,06 at 1 kHz
- 0,02 at 15 kHz
- 0 dBu: 0,01 at 1kHz
- +10 dBu: 0,002 at 1kHz
- Input Impedance: 20 kOhm
- Max. Input Level: +32,5 dBu
- Max. Output Level: +32,5 dBu
- Output Impedance: < 50 Ohm
- Power Consumption:
- 0,24 Amp, 230V/50Hz, 44 Watt, 55 VA
- 0,46 Amp, 115V/60Hz, 42 Watt, 52 VA
- 230 V/50 Hz: 1 Amp
- 115 V/60 Hz: 2 Amp
- Dimensions: W x H x D: 482 x 177 x 311,5mm; 19" x 7" x 12.25"
- Construction: Standard EIA 19" Housing/4U
- Weight: 11kg / 24,25lb
Your order may contain items that use a 240V UK plug
Any electrical items in your order may have been designed to work with a 240V circuit, using a United Kingdom G type plug connection. An adapter or transformer may be required for these items to work properly and safely in your country. Some items work with a range of voltages, or have a switchable voltage control built in. Please refer to the specific product details for further information.