View Full Description
Versatile Eurorack Compressor & Tone Shaper
The Intellijel Jellysquasher is a highly versatile compression module and toneshaper. The fully analog signal path provides that sought-after warmth, normally associated with classic compression units. The Jellysquasher is ideal for a range of applications, from changing the tonal characteristics of a sound, to changing the way it reacts within your setup. A log based RMS detector is utilised for a highly unique way to convert audio AC waveforms into a DC level. The result is a warm yet powerful sound that will bring out the best from your input signals.
Three Selectable Circuit Modes
The module features 3 selectable circuit paths, each with their own distinguishable tonal characteristics and sound. The trilogy is analog circuits is comprised of: Tube, Tape and XFRM. The Tube settings emulated that of a tube amp, adding non-linear distortion, adding secondary order harmonics. The Tape setting provides symmetrical distortion, for both even and odd harmonics. The XFRM changes the way the transformer feedback circuit reacts, resulting in a boost to the low-end of your sound. These three circuits can be activated and combined to achieve interesting and unique results.
Sidechaining and CV Control
As well as the three colour circuits, the Jellysquasher module features a sidechain functions, which is routed via a voltage controllable SVF filter. The SVF filter includes three different filter modes including LP, BP and HP. There is a dedicated trim control on the PCV which provides you with the means to adjust the Q level. Conveniently, the filter can also be used independently of the module for added versatility. There is also an external sidechain input which allows you to trigger the compressor with external sources. Full CV control is provided for a range of parameters including: sidechain cutoff, threshold, ratio, attack time, release time and makeup gain. The output of the module is routed through a hand-picked Edcor transformer, providing exceptional saturation qualities for a more pronounced and punchy sound.
Design & Connectivity
The robust yet ergonomic design of the Jellysquasher is reminiscent of vintage-style compression units with its large Cutoff attenuator and selectable switches. It features 12 patch points in total for in-depth modulation capabilities, including outputs for Cutoff, Threshold, Attack, Release and more. The large colour-coded attenuators provide optimal precision when dialling in your levels. A dry/wet mix attenuator is provided allowing you to blend between the two signals, ideal for utilising New York style compression. An LED bargraph with selectable display modes allows you to monitor the signal level in VU, as well as the gain reduction in dB.
- 100 percent analog signal path and sidechain feedforward compressor
- Unique (log based RMS) detector
- Output routed through a specially selected Edcor transformer with highly desirable saturation qualities
- Three carefully designed analog circuits to impose specific character on the output signal:
- TUBE adds non-linear distortion providing second order harmonics
- TAPE adds symmetrical distortion providing both even and odd harmonics
- XFRM modifies the transformer feedback circuit, giving a boost to low bass content
- All three colour circuits can be engaged in any combination to react differently based on the input drive level and makeup gain
- Sidechain routed through a voltage controllable SVF filter with LP, BP and HP modes. A trimmer on the PCB allows you to adjust Q. This filter can be used independently of the rest of the module
- External sidechain input allows triggering of the compressor with external sources
- Link IN/OUT allows two Jellysquashers to be chained together for stereo operation
- Full CV control of sidechain cutoff, threshold, ratio, attack time, release time, and makeup gain
- Wet/Dry control allows for “New York” style compression where there is a blend of the dry and compressed output signal
- LED bargraph with selectable display modes to view the signal level in VU or the gain reduction in dB
- Max Input: +17dBv
- Input Impedance: 68k ohms
- Output Impedance: 100 ohms
- Frequency Response: 5Hz to 30KHz
- Range Of Gain Reduction: over 50dB
- Threshold: -40dBv to +17dBv
- Ratio: 1.3:1 to infinity
- Attack: 200us to 200ms
- Release: 50ms to 5sec
- Makeup Gain: 48dB