View Full Description
1037-Style Vintage Preamp
The Golden Age Project PRE-73 DLX bases its design and sound on the classic 1073 preamp. At the heart of the preamp is fully discrete Class-A electronics, featuring no integrated signal paths for optimal signal integrity. It boasts a myriad of connections and ways to incorporate external equipment such as EQs and more. It features 80dB of maximum gain on the microphone input, making it suitable for a wide range of microphones including quieter source such as Ribbon microphones. The components and circuitry used within the PRE-73 DLX is similar to the original 1073, providing a vintage-style sound and tone. The 1073 was a keystone in all major pop and rock recordings for the past 30 years, providing a superior warm yet full-bodied sound.
In-Depth Control Section
The ergonomic yet versatile control section features everything you need to control your levels and shape your tone. The two main attenuators are used for controlling the Line/Mic and Output levels. The retro-style pots are ideal for dialing in your levels with maximum precision. The gain range of the input spans from -20 to +10dB, giving you more than enough room to incorporate a variety of equipment. It also includes switchable Phantom Power and Phase controls, ideal for use with studio-grade microphones. It also features a built-in, 5-position Pad switch for catering to different sound sources, ideal for everything from microphones to electric guitars. A selectable 1073-style high-pass filter is also included with four settings for further shaping of your sound.
The PRE-73 DLX boasts a wide variety of versatile connectivity, with the main connection being the XLR/TRS combination input. The front-panel of the unit features a dedicated DI input, ideal for incorporating high-level instruments such as electric and bass guitars. At the side of the input is a switch for toggling the input on or off. Additionally, an insert jack is also included for incorporating external equipment such as EQs and other modulators. The insert jack can also be switched in/out from the front panel. The internal jumper can also choose if the Insert jack always has an output signal for added flexibility.
Robust, Retro Design
Inspired by classic preamps, the PRE-73 carries the aesthetic, electronics, tone and character; the unit features retro-style attenuators, pots and style. The eye-catching red finish not only looks sleek but its design is reminiscent of older preamps. It also includes a 4-meter LED output level meter for visual monitoring. The circuit board is also fully prepared for installation of Carnhill transformers for added flexibility. Additionally, the unit comes complete with an external power supply, ensuring it doesn’t interfere audio circuits and transformers, ensuring optimal signal integrity.
Improvements From The Pre-73 MKII
- Vintage Style electronics. No integrated circuits in the signal path
- Maximum gain on the mic input is 80 dB, enough to handle passive ribbon mics with quiet sound sources
- Gain range on the Line input: -20 to + 10 dB
- Switchable impedance on the mic input, 1200 or 300 ohms, will change the tone of many mics
- Switchable phantom power and absolute phase
- A high impedance instrument input for any sound module, electric guitar or bass
- A simple but effective 4-step LED output level meter
- The output level control makes it possible to make fine gain adjustments and also to overload the main gain stage(s) for more character and then lower the signal to a suitable level before the output stage
- Combo XLR/TRS input jacks and separate output XLR and TRS jacks for flexible connections
- Insert jack for inserting EQ´s and other units
- External high power power supply to avoid interaction with the audio circuits and transformers
- A solid build quality that will last many years of normal use
- Tantalum capacitors in the signal path.
- Selectable 1073-style high pass filter, 50, 80 , 160 and 300 Hz.
- Output Attenuator -7, -14, -21 and -28 dB (located after the output transformer) allows overdriving the output stage and the output transformer for added character by lowering the output signal to a suitable level.
- The circuit board is prepared for Carnhill Mic and Line transformer and high pass inductor.
- The Insert jack can be switched in/out from the front panel. An internal jumper can select that the Insert jack always has an output signal.
- Switchable 600 ohm Output Termination and Ground Lift on the back panel.
- Selectable Active or Passive DI input and selectable input impedance in active mode, Hi Z or 100 kohm, by internal jumpers.
- The DI signal can be selected to pass or bypass the mic input transformer by internal jumpers.
- Relays are used to control internal switching for DI input, Phantom power, Mic Low Z, Insert and Phase for shorter circuit board signal paths. The relays are controlled by front panel switches.
- Revised gain switch for added headroom.
- Circuit board star grounding scheme.
- Revised power supply with separate regulators for the audio circuits and relay and LED circuits
Your order may contain items that use a 240V UK plug
Any electrical items in your order may have been designed to work with a 240V circuit, using a United Kingdom G type plug connection. An adapter or transformer may be required for these items to work properly and safely in your country. Some items work with a range of voltages, or have a switchable voltage control built in. Please refer to the specific product details for further information.