View Full Description
Tube-Based Vintage-Style Compressor
The COMP-2A is the tube-based sibling to the solid-state COMP-3A, combining vintage circuitry with modern innovations for a truly unique tonal character. At the heart of the unit is a pair of double-triode tubes, operating as the voltage amplifier for the unit. It is complete with a 6N6, which is used as a cathode-follower. At the end of the signal path is an output transformer which provides matching impedance and a balanced output. The side-chain section of the unit features a 12AX7 double-triode with a 6P1 power penthode tube, used to drive the electroluminescent panel within the T4B gain control. The vintage-style circuitry and external power supply ensure optimal signal integrity, with no integrated circuits for maximum audio fidelity. The combination of the high-end tubes and premium-grade components provides a musical tonal character, basing its design on the classic broadcast-based compressors.
The powerful architecture and use of classic and modern components, helps to create the unique character the COMP-2A provides. The classic optical compression circuit utilises dual hand-matched Silonex NSL5910 photoresistors. It also includes transformer balanced I/O, allowing you to drive virtually any input source, balanced or unbalanced. The vintage-style signal path ensures optimal audio fidelity, featuring no integrated circuits for maximum signal integrity. This creates an exceptional musical character to the sound of the unit, with two main controls that make it easier than ever to achieve your required sound. It even features a HF control, allowing you to make the side-chain circuit more sensitive to mid and high frequency content.
The Golden Age Project COMP-2A features streamlined yet flexible connectivity, allowing you to process and incorporate a range of musical equipment and instruments. It boasts XLR and TRS input and output jacks for connecting a variety of external equipment such as studio microphones, electric guitars, keyboards and more. It also includes a link jack and switch for connecting the compressor to another unit for use in stereo. Another convenient feature is the integrated hardwire bypass switch, allowing you to make quick and easy comparisons between your dry and processed signals. The classic T4-style electro-optical attenuator allows you to control gain with program dependent attack and release times.
The vintage-style circuitry and components ensures that classic sought-after sound, complete with the retro aesthetic to match. The robust, all-metal enclosure stays true to its vintage counterparts with retro-style attenuators and a large VU meter. The stepped controls make it easy to make precise changes, and the two main controls make it easy to achieve the sound you require. It also comes complete with an external power supply helping to avoid interaction with audio circuits and transformers for optimised audio performance. The solid build quality ensures maximum longevity, being a staple in your studio setup for years to come. The compact 2RU half rack format means you can mount the unit within a studio or live rack.
- Vintage style all tube signal path. The tubes are fitted with grounded shields
- Transformer balanced input and output. Can drive almost any load, balanced or unbalanced
- Golden Age Project’s version of the classic optical unit using a long life electroluminescent panel and two carefully matched Silonex NSL5910 photoresistors for T4B-style electro-optical gain control with program dependent attack and release times
- Very simple to operate with only two main controls, Gain and Peak Reduction
- HF control can make the side-chain circuit more sensitive to mid and high frequency content
- Linear low noise regulated filament and high voltage power supply
- Vintage-style VU meter, selectable to show gain reduction or output level at two different reference levels
- Hardwire bypass switch for easy comparisons
- XLR and TRS input and output jacks for flexible connections
- Link jack and switch for connecting to another unit for stereo operation
- All external controls located on the front panel
- Compact 2RU half rack format. Two units can be mounted with our 19-inch rack kit, the UNITE BIG
- A solid build quality that will last many years of normal use
Your order may contain items that use a 240V UK plug
Any electrical items in your order may have been designed to work with a 240V circuit, using a United Kingdom G type plug connection. An adapter or transformer may be required for these items to work properly and safely in your country. Some items work with a range of voltages, or have a switchable voltage control built in. Please refer to the specific product details for further information.