View Full Description
Full Feature Set Enhances Any Sound
Mastering is the icing on the cake, the cherry on top, the final part of the audio production process that takes it to that next level. With the Alpha you'll keep the clean, punchy and transparent sound, but what Alpha also has is a shedload of innovative features for sculpting your sound. Onboard, the Alpha offers mid/side processing, letting you process the mid and side signals independently and effectively. This onboard feature generates new potentials that many classic linked stereo compressors cannot offer, allowing you to compress specific parts of a mix that couldn't be selected in a stereo mix. Parallel compression is also possible, allowing you to blend the processed signal with the unprocessed whilst stabilising the dynamics. With this being in the box, it provides you with much better signal quality, and allows you to use extreme settings without ruining a track.
Creative Sound Sculpting Possibilities
The Alpha Compressor opens you up to a whole host of sound sculpting possibilities. Its sidechain filter allows for frequency selective compression for treating specific frequency areas and making them stronger or weaker. On top of that, the Alpha features a Niveau audio filter that specialises in molding the overall sonic character of a track effectively without the complicated control. Classic shelving filters and fully parametric filters would usually be too much or too limited, and that's where the Niveau Filter comes in. The filter is an all pass variant with a flat frequency response that intelligently adjusts its phase according to the setting of the frequency controller. With this filter it is much easier to alter the character of a track (bright vs. dark), whilst still retaining an open and dynamic sound, something that standard equalisers lack. Alpha also has feed forward and feedback compression. The type of compression can be chosen individually for each channel, providing you with two different compressors with a push of a button. This allows you to easily switch the feed of the sidechain alternatively behind or in front. Feed forward mode offers stronger and harder compression, whereas feedback mode is smoother and even.
Perfect Attack Values
The Auto Fast function provides semi automation, or perfect attack on the basis of the value set by the user. It's a great way to glue parts of a mix together. Usually, if a very short attack time is used, the compressor will catch short peaks, but it will also process the sustaining signal which can result in audible distortion. The longer settings will reduce distortion but then it will be too slow for catching fast impulses. In Auto Fast mode, the compressor is lightning fast only when it's needed and adapts to the currently right setting automatically.
Soft Clip Limiter
The Alpha's Soft Clip limiter has been designed to solve the problems of signal peaks that produce audible distortion and create new harmonics. It has been specialised in catching short and transient-like signals reliably, taming both short and loud transients, and smoothening signal peaks. As it is based on discrete transistors, just like tape, its characteristic saturation curve results in rounding peaks rather than cutting them off, making it ideal for use on source material that contains variable peak values.
Professional-Grade Sound With Optimum Signal Quality
In true Elysia style, the Alpha is composed of discrete circuitry throughout its audio paths, power supply, sidechain and driver for the LED metre. Original circuitry has been specially designed to deliver outstanding clarity. It constantly operates in permanent class-A mode, removing any crossover distortion and keeping the sound character wide, open and transparent. Alpha features VOVOX sound conductors to keep the sound vivid, dynamic and punchy. These special conductors enhance every part of the frequency range with minimal losses, making your sound brilliant, tangible, dynamic and powerful.
- 100 percent discrete class-A - all discrete circuitry providing a constant wide, open and transparent sound
- Integrated M/S matrix - independently process mid and side signals
- Feed forward and feedback - type of compression can be chosen for each channel individually
- Auto fast - switchable semi automation that provides perfect attack and release
- Audio filter - specialised in forming the tonal characteristics of a track effortlessly
- Sidechain filter - onboard frequency selective compression
- Parallel compression - blend processed signal with unprocessed easily
- Signal matrix - direct and unprocessed signal can be monitored individually or together
- Soft clip limiter - tames short and loud transients, smoothens signal peak, protects AD converters from clipping
- Switchable transformers - want the sound of iron? Yes or no, or both
- Analogue dynamic LED metre - modulates brightness to show action in an analogue way
- Passive current attenuator - custom discrete gain reduction cell provides extreme speed, bandwidth and superior sound
- T16 heater - keeps sensitive parts of discrete circuitry at stable temperature
- Stepped and matched potentiometers - 23 steps, for easy precise recall
- VOVOX sound conductors - keeps sound vivid, dynamic and punchy
*For a full list of specifications and more information, please see the PDF manual above.
- Frequency Response: 10Hz - 200Hz (-0.5dB)
- Dimensions: 483 x 133 (3U) x 405mm (WxHxD)
- Weight: 16kg