View Full Description
Sintered metal head
Sintering is not new to the microphone world, although Aston have taken the technology a step further than ever before. Aston tested multiple thicknesses of sintered head, as well as the average size of the sinter spheres and combined that with nickel plate which is controlled to only a few nano-metres thickness to achieve near perfect acoustic porosity. The head is virtually indestructible, so like all Aston microphones, it is capable of handling any amount of both studio and live use and will never let you down.
The addition of a Class 2 laser to the Starlight SDC allows you to easily recall and replicate microphone positions. It also means, for touring bands, that mic positions can be marked off on drums etc, and set-up becomes quicker than ever before. This design is a world's first and a big leap in helping to achieve a consistent sound in any environment.
The Starlight offers three modes of operation thanks to innovative front-end filtering between the capsule and PCB. You have the option to choose between Vintage, Modern and Hybrid settings to ensure you get the perfect tone response for your application. Whether you're capturing guitar cabs, drums, strings or vocals, each setting has been carefully tuned to deliver unparalleled performance.
Each Aston microphone features the 1.5mm stainless steel chassis that is tumbled for up to 4 hours to produce the beautiful signature finish.
Discrete amp circuit (PCB)
The Starlight pencil microphone employs an extremely fine-tuned discrete microphone amp circuit with high-spec components which results in an extremely sensitive and low noise design with loads of headroom. Capable of handling quiet or extremely loud sources without compromising noise or tonal performance, the final result is an incredibly clean and detailed sound. The voicing control utilises inductive active filters at the front-end of the microphone circuit to alter the response of the capsule without adding any noise to the circuit. The benefit of this means that the voicing switch is effectively the equivalent of changing the capsule to achieve different tonal characteristics and frequency response.
''In an ingenious move that's surely destined to become standard throughout the microphone industry, British manufacturer Aston has revealed the world's first, er... laser targeting pencil mic.'' - MusicRadar.
To read the full MusicRadar article, click here.
- Laser-alignment sight for placement accuracy and recording recall
- Sintered metal head - unique, innovative design protects capsule and provides excellent acoustic properties
- Gold-sputtered 20mm capsule, chosen in blind tests by a panel of 50 top producers
- market-leading electronic PCB design
- 1.5mm, solid stainless steel, laser-cut and etched chassis
- 3-position voicing switch: Vintage, Modern and hybrid settings
- -20dB/ -10dB/ 0dB Pad switch
- 3-position Low-Cut filter
- Eco-friendly packaging - well-designed, re-usable and recyclable
- Supplied with mounting bar, windscreens & mic clips
CAUTION: Class 2 laser device. Do not stare into the beam.
- Microphone Type: Condenser
- Mono/Stereo: Stereo Pair
- Polar Pattern: Cardioid
- Diaphragm Size: 20mm Capsule
- Frequency Response: 20Hz-20kHz
- Max SPL: 140dB
- Signal to Noise Ratio: 79dB (A weighted)
- Self Noise: 15dB (A weighted)
- Sensitivity: 42.1mV/Pa
- Low Cut Filter: 80Hz, 140Hz
- Pads: -10dB, -20dB
- Features: 3-position voice settings, built-in laser
- Colour: Silver
- Connector: XLR
- Power Source: 48V phantom power
- Dimensions: 7.13" x 1.42"
- Weight: 1.04kg
- Included Accessories: Mic Clip, Mounting Bar, Windscreen
- Product Code: AST-STARLIGHT-SP