View Full Description
The PinMic is comprised of a cabled backplate and removable omni-directional capsule head and is easily attached to clothing or fabric by pushing the backplate pins through the fabric and sliding the capsule into place on the front. This design means the backplate and cable are cleverly hidden behind the fabric and the capsule head can be easily disguised, covered or decorated to further conceal the mic.
The PinMic capsule is only 9mm deep and 11mm in diameter and comes supplied with both a black and silver mesh head which you can paint for further camouflage if you wish. It will easily mount through any fabric up to 1.5mm (0.006") thick without any damage to clothing. Alternatively, the PinMic Long is also available for mounting on thicker fabrics.
The mic cable is connected via a 1.2m (4') shielded and detachable Kevlar® reinforced cable that Rode have tested to ensure reliable performance. The Rode PinMic comes with a host of accessories including a mini furry for protection in windy conditions, an anti trauma water resistant case, a spare capsule head and cable.
Rode has also developed the MiCon™ connector system (sold separately) which provides seamless integration between the PinMic and a wide range of wireless systems as well as consoles, cameras and portable recorders.
"So basically, the PinMic is a detachable capsule head (which come as standard in black and silver) with three 'pin-size' holes drilled into the back - a reinforcement plate (with the Kevlar cable connected to it) holds three pins, which in-turn fit into the holes in the rear of the capsule. This enables the microphone to be positioned in the optimum location - regardless of aesthetics and clothing issues - not only that, it also allows the cable to run down the inside of the clothing and removes the need for a crocodile clip to hold the mic in place. On the face of it - the idea looks promising - but is Rode's first lavalier/headworn/pinable capsule up to scratch?
Well, yes - unsurprisingly. I tested it in a few locations, the first being an acoustically treated studio - without the ambient distractions there I could really explore the mic - it's got a nice full frequency response, with good bass coverage and a smooth high-end - unlike many traditional lavaliers. Next up was a cathedral - with a reverb time of 3 seconds, it did indeed pick up quite a bit of the 'room', but then it is an omni - what can we really expect? Lastly, we had a sports stadium - when using the included 'mini-dead cat' it picked up no wind noise whatsoever, and was as clear as possible." Behind the Mixer
- Ultra discreet appearance
- Lightweight and easy to position
- Pins through clothing up to approximately 1.5mm (0.006?) thick (standard model) or approximately 1.5 ~ 3.5mm (0.006 ~ 0.14?) thick (heavy duty model)
- Removable mesh head
- High quality performance
- Low noise miniature microphone capsule
- Low handling noise
- Universal compatibility
- Seamless integration with a wide range of wireless systems while maintaining discreet and unobtrusive appearance
- Rode MiCon™ interconnectivity system provides interface with a wide range of wireless systems while maintaining discreet and unobtrusive appearance
- Gold plated connections
- Acoustic Principle: Pressure Gradient
- Active Electronics: JFET impedance converter
- Capsule: 0.10?
- Polar Pattern: Omnidirectional - picks up all sides equally
- Address Type: End
- Frequency Range: 60Hz - 18kHz
- Output Impedance: 3000Ω
- Maximum SPL: 110dB SPL (@ 1kHz, 1% THD into 1K? load)
- Maximum Output Level: 189.0mV (@ 1kHz, 1% THD into 1K? load)
- Sensitivity: -33.5dB re 1 Volt/Pascal (21.00mV @ 94 dB SPL) +/- 2 dB @ 1kHz
- Equivalent Noise Level (A-weighted): 25db-A
- Power Options: P48 (P48 through MiCon-5 adaptor, 2V~5V through all other MiCon adaptors)
- Dimensions: 16.00mmH x 22.00mmW x 33.00mmD
- Output: MiCon™ Output - requires MiCon™ adapter (sold separately)
- Supplementary mesh head (silver) suitable for spray paint customisation to fully match clothing
- Anti-trauma water resistant storage case
- Mini-furry for high wind protection
- Shielded Kevlar® reinforced cable with moulded backplate
- Lapel-style cable management clip
- Adjustment tools
- Sanitary cleansing wipes
- Compact, interchangeable MiCon™ adaptors available separately to suit industry standard wireless systems (see rodemic.com/lavalier for a full list of compatibility)