View Full Description
Welcome to the world of the ZVEX VEXTER Instant Lo-Fi Junky. Its purpose is to reproduce sound in real time. Joel Korte, the extraordinary engineer behind this new device, was able to create a mixture of THAT chip compression, belling bucket brigades, and ultra-low-current National Semiconductor op-amp filters to exquisitely copy the texture and feel of the original Lo-Fi into this new and extraordinary box, adding some new sounds that have never been heard before.
To get the basic real-time Lo-Fi sound, turn the middle knob all the way to the right and set the waveform switch to triangle. By adjusting the speed and depth it's pretty easy to achieve a very similar texture to the original Lo-Fi Loop Junky, lower the tone knob if you wish to darken the tone.
Turning down the middle knob all the way toward the "comp" side allows you to enjoy a remarkably bright and clear compression. As you turn the middle knob back toward the Lo-Fi side, you hear the chorus blend start to happen. The glossy clear compressed signal will mix with the smashed, lo-fidelity warbled signal and become a luscious emulsification that can be blended to the most perfect depth. Unlike other choruses where the only depth control you have is the depth of the sweep oscillator, this unit lets you set exactly how much of the two signals are present in the mix... more clear compression.
If you're wanting the sound to be clean with a hint of chorus, blended 1-to-1 for pure chorusing sound, or mostly vibrato with a hint of chorus by turning the knob mostly to the right. The chorus sound sounds most traditional with either the sine or triangle setting. They are subtly but noticeably different.
Switching the waveform to square and setting the middle knob mostly to the compression side (to the left). You can blend in just enough of the square-wave modulated Lo-Fi sound to make it really eerie. For the spookiest sound, set the speed control to the tempo of your performance and the depth all the way up, adjusting the mix for just enough modulation.
- Amazing lo-fi effect with vibrato
- Takes your sound from sparkly and clear to mashed up lo-fi
- Can generate chorus effects as well
- Battery or PSU (not included)
- Volume, Tone, Comp Lo-Fi Depth and Speed Knobs
- Powered by 9V Battery or 9VDC Power Supply (Not Included)
- Volume: Overall output volume for the unit
- Tone: Can be used to lower the brightness of the Lo-Fi signal (the vibrato sound). Does not affect the compressed signal
- Comp/Lo-Fi: Adjusts anywhere between full compression and full vibrato mix. Blending the two (somewhere between the extremes) creates a chorusing sound
- Speed: Adjusts the speed of the Vibrato (only affects the Lo-Fi sound)
- Depth: Sets the depth of the Vibrato (only affects the Lo-Fi sound)
- Waveform: Sets the waveform of the Vibrato's modulation. The traditional Lo-Fi Loop Junky simulation setting is triangle