View Full Description
Factory-Matched Stereo Pair
This pair of factory-matched ribbon microphones are perfect for stereo recordings. Stereo recordings are used for immersive soundstages. This sound is atmospheric, making you feel like you are in the middle of the recording. This can be used for drums, pianos, vocal ensembles and even orchestras.
Ribbon Microphone Meets Condenser Output Levels
The R-122 MKII builds on the success of the original mic – the world’s first Phantom Powered ribbon microphone. The MKII takes this to the next level, with the inclusion of a switchable bass-cut filter and -15dB pad. This provides added flexibility when it comes to recording various sound sources. This innovative design earned it a nomination at the 31st NAMM tech awards.
The ribbon design delivers classic warmth and atmospheric sound, associated with some of the most well-known recordings on the planet. It is ideal for use with a wide range of sound sources including electric guitar amps, drum overheads, acoustic guitar, horn sections and even for commercial broadcasting.
The active electronics within the microphone provide a perfect load for the ribbon at all times. This allows the R-122 MKII to achieve its full sonic potential, no matter the input source. This means the microphone can be used with long cable runs. It also helps to minimise signal loss for optimised audio quality. It also protects the ribbon from damage from problematic cables or electrical glitches.
Integrated -15dB Pad and Bass Cut
The R-122 MKII also includes an integrated pad and bass-cut filter. The bass cut filter starts cutting out sounds at 100Hz downwards. It provides 6dB of cutting per octave, helping to reduce unwanted background noise and eliminate the proximity effect. The smooth bass cut filter is ideal for use with vocals, acoustics instrument and electric guitars
The -15dB pad is perfect for optimising the mic for high-level sound sources. It can eliminate distortion when recording sources such as electric guitars and micing amplifiers. The R-122’s pad results in no sonic imprint, resulting in optimised audio fidelity even when in use.
Royer’s Patented Offset Ribbon Technology
One of the most unique features of the microphone is Royer’s patented offset ribbon technology. The custom design positions the ribbon element at the front of the traducer. This provides higher SPL handling on the front of the mic. It also results in a brighter response when recording lower-level sound sources such as vocals and acoustic instrument.
Durable Construction with Carry Case and Shock Mount
The all-metal construction features nickel powder coat that not only looks sleek but provides optimal durability. The ribbon element is not affected by heat or humidity, ensuring a long lifespan. The passive design and custom transformer minimises high SPL overload, protecting your ribbon element from damage.
Additionally, the microphone comes complete with a stylish protective wooden case and mic sock, helping to preserve and protect your microphone whilst on the move.
- High-end ribbon microphone, ideal for stage and studio applications
- Ideal for recording electric and acoustic guitar, drum overheads, percussion instrument, percussion instruments, pianos, guitar, choirs and vocals
- Phantom powered circuitry provides high output and impedance matching
- -15 dB pad before the mic’s electronics gives more headroom when activated.
- Bass cut filter reduces proximity effect and bass below 100 Hz when activated
- High SPL Capabilities
- No distortion up to maximum SPL rating
- Extremely low residual noise
- Ribbon element is not affected by heat or humidity
- Absence of high frequency phase distortion
- Equal sensitivity from front or back of element
- Consistent frequency response regardless of distance
- Rear side of mic records slightly brighter when three feet or closer to sound source