View Full Description
Version 4.14 Firmware Update – with AFX mode from Aphex Twin
Ground-breaking new features and upgrades. With the 4.14 firmware upgrade, Novation have added five new and powerful features to the AFX Station. One of the most exciting features is the new AFX mode. Developed alongside legendary electronic music producer Aphex Twin, the AFX mode allows you to patch on a key-by-key basis. Now you can make subtle changes to sounds as you play, or divide the keyboard into multiple zones for live performances.
Envelopes now feature a fixed duration parameter, eliminating the decay state of the envelope. The decay slider than dictates the duration of the sustain stage, this is ideal for drum programming and plucks.
Other new features include extended sub-oscillator control, oscillator glide diverse and envelope retrigger count. Each new feature helps to expand the creative possibilities of your AFX Station.
The classic Novation Bass Station analog synth reworked
Novation's AFX Station is an analog mono-synth with a talent for bass, but a sound-engine that is versatile enough to kick out sharp leads and crisp arpeggios. It brings the best elements of the original BassStation into a brand new design with re-worked modulation, effects, filters and more; like the BassStation, but much much bigger. The signal path is pure analog - including the effects section.
The hardware has been laid out in modules with dedicated pots, switches, sliders and buttons for all major parameters. You can store and recall patches on AFX Station - it comes with 64 killer factory presets, space for 64 of your own sounds on the hardware and you can store even more on your computer. The AFX Station has 25 full sized keys that are velocity sensitive with assignable aftertouch.
Because it's been developed as a synth-action keyboard, each key is individually sprung so it is light to the touch and highly responsive to the synth engine.
Exclusive patches and a gift box
Curated by Aphex Twin himself, the AFX Station features a sleek black and purple design with the classic 'A' logo. It also features 128 exclusive synth patches and seven new overlay banks from Noyze Lab, Perplex On, Richard Devine, r beny and Lightbath - channel the creative vision of Aphex Twin. Not only that, but the synth comes complete with a gift box with custom artwork design by long-time Aphex Twin collaborator - Weirdcore.
Three analog oscillators
AFX Station is built on three analog oscillators and a noise generator. There are two fully independent oscillators plus a sub oscillator, the critical component in creating rich, analog bass sounds. Oscillators One and Two are switchable between sine, sawtooth, square and variable pulse width, and Oscillator Three - the sub osc - can be set to one or two octaves below Oscillator One. It can be square, sine or narrow pulse width, delivering the characteristically fat bass tone.
Acid and classic filters
You can select between two discrete filters - Acid or Classic - each with a built-in overdrive for pushing filter tones from dry, to warm, to nasty! The Classic Bass Station filter can be switched between low pass, high pass and band pass at 12 or 24dB slopes. The Acid filter is based on a diode ladder filter design that delivers a characteristically 303-esque sound that is designed to squelch!
Premium-grade analog effects
The AFX Station has two effects (not including the filter overdrive). analog distortion drives circuit components to add new frequencies to the sound. AFX Station's Distortion function can add gentle warmth, filthy granularity and anything in between. The second effect is Osc Filter Mod which creates a distinctive FM-type sound by using Oscillator Two to modulate the filter frequency.
Wide range of modulation
There are two envelope generators and two low frequency oscillators (LFOs). The first envelope is an ADSR amp envelope and the second is a mod envelope that can be used to modulate filter frequency, oscillator pitch and osc pulse width. LFO One is dedicated to pitch modulation whereas LFO Two is used to modulate osc pulse width and filter frequency. Although it looks like there are four LFO waveforms, the LFO Slew function can be used freely to sculpt LFOs into smoother wave-shapes.
Arpeggiator and step sequencer
AFX Station'ss Arpeggiator and Step Sequencer are killer performance and production tools. The Arp can be directed to run through 32 different rhythmic patterns in different directions with a switchable octave range. You can also engage the Step Sequencer. Up to four sequences can be played in - with legato and rests - and played back using any one of the 32 rhythmic patterns.
- Novation AFX Station synthesizer
- DC power supply unit (PSU)
- Exclusive gift box with custom artwork by Weirdcore
- USB cable
- Access to Sound Collective
- Ableton Live Lite
- 4GB Loopmasters samples
- Free Melodics lessons
- Limited edition version of the Bass Station II with custom design by Aphex Twin
- 128 new synth patches and seven new overlay banks from Noyze Lab, Perplex On, Richard Devine, r beny and Lightbath channel the creative vision of Aphex Twin
- Includes exclusive gift box with custom artwork by Aphex Twin collaborator - Weirdcore
- Analog synth: brand new version of the classic BassStation
- Two distinct analog filters: A brand new Acid filter joins the Classic original BassStation filter
- AFX Station ships with 64 factory patches and a further 64 user slots. Patch dump enables you to archive and swap sounds
- Pattern-based Step Sequencer and Arpeggiator
- Analog synth layout includes dedicated controls for all major parameters
- Two Oscillators plus an additional Sub Oscillator
- Analogue effects section: AFX Station includes fully analogue distortion and filter-modulation effects and a separate filter overdrive to add an aggressive, crunchy sound-quality
- Flexible modulation featuring 2 Envelopes and 2 LFOs
- MIDI I/O and USB connectivity
- Players 'synth-action' keyboard with aftertouch
- Access to Sound Collective
- Comes with 3-year warranty from Novation
- Type Of Keys: Synth Action, Aftertouch
- Other Controllers: Pitchbend, Mod Wheel
- Polyphony: Monophonic
- Number Of Presets: 64
- Number Of Effects: 2
- Effects Types: Distortion, Oscillator FM
- Audio Inputs: 1 x TRS
- Audio Outputs: 2 x TRS, 1 x Headphones
- USB: 1 x Type B
- MIDI I/O: In/Out/USB
- Pedal Inputs: 1 x Sustain
- Dimensions (HxWxD): 2.5" x 18'' x 10.625''
- Power Supply: AC/USB
- Product Code: AFX-STATION