View Full Description
Quality Sitka Spruce & Genuine Mahogany Construction
The Martin D-18E Retro features a stunning sitka spruce top, producing a distinct sound that is able to accommodate numerous genres and techniques with ease; from lighter fingerpicking styles, to heavier more aggressive strumming patterns. In addition, its sitka spruce top also yields a crisp, articulate tone with a broad dynamic range, and a focused, clear sound of deep lows, warm mid-range, and bright singing highs. Additionally, its solid sitka spruce top is balanced out beautifully by its genuine mahogany body. This is because mahogany is denser and produces a richer tone with emphasised warmth in the mid and low ranges. Furthermore, the D-18E's mahogany body also produces a meaty mid-range, producing punchy, woody tones with plenty of depth and complexity that will please most playing styles.
Durable Neck & Ebony Fingerboard
Constructed from select hardwood, the D-18E's neck offers a quick and dynamic response as well as being durable. With its dovetail joint, the neck is certain to stay put and is less likely to twist and warp over time. In addition, the neck also has a high performance taper for enhanced playability while its modified low oval profile provides a smooth and comfortable platform for the left hand. To prevent 'gig-hands' from sticking, the neck has a satin finish that provides a slick playing experience for those that move up and down the fingerboard regularly at a faster pace. Furthermore, the neck is topped with an extremely responsive ebony fingerboard that adds a crisp, bright attack to the overall sound as well as smooth long-lasting sustain. The ebony fingerboard is matched with an ebony bridge that also apply clarity and a well defined punch. For added aesthetic appeal, the fingerboard is sprinkled with Old Style 18 abalone inlays, providing an elegant look to a premium design.
D-14 Fret Body
The Martin D-18E features a dreadnought body, which projects an enormously rich, full acoustic voice yet maintains overall tonal balance. In addition, the D-14 fret body from Martin is most well known for its incredible bass response and superior projection, perfect for a loud, full-bodied acoustic performance. Furthermore, the D-14 fret body and its mixture of sonically-stunning timbers enables the player to achieve numerous genres and techniques with equal ease, including aggressive strumming, light picking styles, flat picking, and country licks. With its versatility and powerful response, the Martin D-18E Retro will also fit beautifully among other instruments within a live mix or when tracking in the studio. Furthermore, using the blend of power and articulation, Martin's dreadnought body gives the player everything expected from dreadnought sizing, but with a premium, high quality tonal output, and Martin's supreme construction and design.
Fishman Aura VT Enhance
In 2016 Martin introduced the sophisticated Aura VT Enhance preamp system which offers advanced and innovative technology, described as the virtual blender of all pickups. The Aura VT Enhance is able to combine the raw pickup signal with an acoustic image that reveals the true personality of an acoustic, perfect for projecting each subtle nuance the D-18E Retro holds. Additionally, the Fishman Aura VT Enhance with acoustic imaging features a new bridge plate mounted transducer that adds dimension, resonance, and body to the guitar's overall tone.
The Martin D-18E Retro was constructed and designed with vintage aesthetics and authentic sonic-characteristics in mind. Additionally, the Martin D-18E features an aging toner gloss top to recreate pleasing pre-war aesthetics. Martin have chosen a classic faux tortoise pickguard to accompany the aged toner top, as well as an Old Style 18-stripe rosette, Old Style 18 abalone inlays, and nickel hardware. With all this the player receives a classic, vintage-inspired look that is certain to look sublime on stage, in the studio, or even for band and solo musician photoshoots, as well as being able to sit unobtrusively in the home.
Forward Shifted X Brace
The Martin D-18E Retro has a forward shifted X brace pattern with a scalloped shape, resulting in the X being shifted upwards slightly in comparison the standard X bracing. This allows even more room for the top to vibrate, providing the player with a richer, clearer tone, with a reinforced structure. Bracing is very important for a guitar as it stops it collapsing in on itself and keeps the structure strong and durable; as well as enhancing the guitar's top production and overall tonal output.
Martin's Plek Process
Plek Technology uses a computer-controlled machine that carefully measures each fret along with the fingerboard height under each string. This innovative Plek Technology then automatically dresses each fret, virtually eliminating string buzz and greatly improving the overall playability of the guitar. This pioneering process does the same work in a matter of minutes in comparison to how long it takes a luthier to complete the same job which can take up to several hours, sometimes even days to accomplish.
- Perfect for professional performance
- Ideal for stage, studio and tours due to premium Fishman electronics and quality Martin construction
- Solid sitka spruce top provides bright and versatile tonal output
- Dreadnought body is ideal for rock, pop, country licks, folk, blues and traditional western styles
- Aging toner top offers vintage appearance
- Bone nut for added resonance and sustain
- Sleek modified low oval neck for enhanced playability
- Constructed and designed to project the sonic-characteristics of 1937 Martin guitars
Body & Bridge
- Model: D-18E Retro
- Body Size: D-14 Fret
- Top: Solid Sitka Spruce
- Rosette: Style 18
- Top Bracing Pattern: Standard ''X'' Scalloped, Forward Shifted
- Top Braces: Solid Sitka Spruce 5/16''
- Back Material: Solid Genuine Mahogany
- Back Purfling: Old Style 18
- Side Material: Solid Genuine Mahogany
- Endpiece: Tortoise Color
- Binding: Tortoise Color
- Finish Back & Sides: Polished Gloss
- Finish Top: Polished Gloss w/ Aging Toner
- Bridge Material: Solid Black Ebony
- Bridge Style: 1930s Style Belly w/ Drop-In Saddle
- Bridge String Spacing: 2-3/16''
- Bridge & End Pins: Black w/ White Dots
- Saddle: 16'' Radius/Compensated/White Tusq
Neck & Fingerboard
- Neck Material: Select Hardwood
- Neck Shape: Modified Low Oval Profile w/ Performing Artist Taper
- Nut Material: Bone
- Headstock: Solid/Square Taper
- Headplate: Solid East Indian Rosewood
- Heelcap: Ebony
- Fingerboard Material: Solid Black Ebony
- Scale Length: 25.4''
- Number Of Frets: 20
- Fingerboard Width At Nut: 1-3/4''
- Fingerboard Width At 12th Fret: 2-1/8''
- Fingerboard Position Inlays: Old Style 18 Abalone
- Finish Neck: Satin
Hardware & Electronics
- Electronics: Fishman Aura VT Enhance
- Tuning Machines: Nickel Open-Geared w/ Butterbean Knobs
- Recommended Strings: Martin Studio Performance Lifespan Phosphor Bronze Medium Gauge (MSP7200
- Pickguard: Faux Tortoise
- Case: Ply Hardshell
- Other Options: Available left-handed at no additional charge (please call to enquire)
Please note: Martin do not ship their guitars with the strap button installed on the bottom of the guitar. They do this to avoid any impact cracks that may occur during shipping. You can find your strap button inside the case compartment.