View Full Description
The Roland SPD-SX
The SPD-SX takes many of the proven concepts from its predecessor and raises them to a new level. Whether you're firing off one-shot samples, looped phrases, or complete audio playback tracks, the SPD-SX is loaded with the latest technology and tools to get the job done. Enjoy the most advanced triggering and sampling technology in a sleek, easy-to-use percussion instrument and with the stand included in the bundle you are ready to go.
The Playing Field
The SPD-SX is equipped with nine highly sensitive rubber pads with two independent real-time control knobs and four dedicated effect buttons. The SPD-SX possess a large backlit LCD screen that provides easy-to-read data in all varieties of environments. Each pad also has a companion LED that illuminates to show the pad's status. When you trigger sample phrases, the LEDs remain lit to show you which pads are in play and which are not. In addition, the LEDs change illumination strength according to audio-level activity (like level meters on a mixing board). The high-contrast red divider lines help you see the pad zones clearly onstage.
Why choose the Roland SPD-SX
Alongside the vast library of digital drum sounds, there’s huge scope for colouring them with effects, EQ, ambience and real-world kit parameters like tuning and muffling. This unit is a real performance tool, offering two separate modes to suit any scenario. In play mode, you hit a pad to activate a one-shot drum sound, while in loop mode, a single hit lets you start/stop a drum loop that can comprise up to three layered beats.
The SPD-SX has three multi-effects units onboard: one master unit and two units that are assignable per kit. The master effects engine lets you perform in real time like a DJ using the dedicated front-panel controls. Get your hands on the filter, delay, short looper, and user-assignable effect - all of which can be creatively adjusted with the four front-panel buttons and two control knobs.
There's much more to the SPD-SX than meets the eye. A powerful-yet-friendly line-up of features has been built into this little powerhouse, such as Multi-Pad Sampling. While audio streams in from an external audio player or computer (via Audio In or USB), simply strike each pad at the appropriate start/end points, and the sample will be automatically truncated and assigned to that pad. It's a fast, friendly way to create multi-sampled phrases and pad maps.
SPD-SX Wave Manager Software Included
The SPD-SX's generous 4GB of internal memory lets you store and carry your entire sample library inside. With no external memory required, you can house approximately 360 minutes of audio (10,000 files) at 16-bit, 44.1 kHz, mono. The built-in USB ports let you directly import audio files from USB flash memory. The bundled SPD-SX Wave Manager software app lets you import audio files directly from computer via USB, assign the samples to each pad, and organize the thousands of samples efficiently.
What is a sampling pad
The guiding concept is that the Roland SPD-SX lets you trigger audio samples by striking a pad or external trigger at key moments in your set. That sample could be an old-school vintage snare crack; however, this unit isn’t just about percussion. You could equally trigger a vocal hook, a looped piano phrase, a complete backing track or a bespoke sample of your dog barking that you’ve recorded and imported. Many players use it to augment their existing set up.
- New angle-adjustment clamp that offers 200 degrees of tilt
- Double-braced tripod, 2-section pipe with height adjustment that enables standing or sitting positions
- More affordable than previous model
The PDS-10 Stand
The new double-braced support stand: the PDS-10, is the improved successor to the PDS-15 and features a newly improved angle clamp that provides 200 degrees of tilt.
- Unique sampling-pad concept - the only instrument of its kind in the world
- 4GB internal memory, enabling approximately 360 minutes of sampling (mono) without requiring external memory
- Nine velocity-sensitive rubber pads, two external dual-trigger inputs
- Easy capturing and assignment of audio data through Multi-Pad Sampling
- Three units of multi-effects onboard, with two real-time control knobs and four dedicated effect buttons
- Individual Pad Dynamics indicators show pad status and audio-level activity during performance
- Expanded USB functionality (USB Mass Storage, USB MIDI/AUDIO, USB Memory)
- Wave Manager software included for easily importing, assigning, and organizing samples
- Large backlit LCD
- Pads: Built-in Pads: 9 (with LED Indicators)
- *Two external trigger inputs are provided, allowing you to connect to four Pads.
- Maximum Polyphony: 20 voices
- * Maximum polyphony becomes 16 voices according as an operating state.
- Recordable Wave Data: 10,000
- * Including preload wave data.
- Sampling Time (Total time for all wave data) : Approx. 180 min. in stereo (360 min. in mono)
* Since the internal memory included with the SPD-SX contains preload data, the available sampling time will be less than the time above.
- Data Format: 16-bit linear PCM (WAV/AIFF)
- Sampling Frequency: 44.1 kHz
- Kits: 100
- Kit Chain: 8 chains (20 steps per chain)
Graphic LCD 128 x 64 dots
- Master Effects (21 Types)
- Kit Effect 1 (20 Types)
- Kit Effect 2 (20 Types)
- PHONES jack (Stereo 1/4-inch phone type)
- MASTER OUT jacks (L/MONO, R) (1/4-inch phone type)
- SUB OUT jacks (L/MONO, R) (1/4-inch phone type)
- AUDIO IN jacks (L/MONO, R) (1/4-inch phone type) (with LINE-MIC GAIN control)
- TRIG IN jacks (1/2, 3/4) (1/4-inch TRS phone type)
- FOOT SW jack (1/2) (1/4-inch TRS phone type)
- MIDI connectors (IN, OUT)
- DC IN jack
- COMPUTER connector
- MEMORY connector
- Interface: Hi-Speed USB (USB-MIDI, USB-AUDIO, USB Mass Storage Class, USB Flash Drive)
- Power Supply: DC 9 V (AC Adaptor)
- Current Draw: 600 mA
- CD-ROM (SPD-SX Wave Manager, USB driver, preload wave data)
- Owner's Manual
- AC Adaptor