Music Gear News

At Gear4music.com we update our news channel daily to ensure you always get the latest and most important music news.

Leonard Cohen: Not much strategy in my songwriting

Hit musician Leonard Cohen has revealed that he doesn't really have a strategy when it comes to writing songs.
No strategy to writing songs
Leonard Cohen has revealed in a candid interview with Jarvis Cocker that he has never had much of a strategy when it has come to writing songs.

The Canadian musician was speaking to Cocker at the May Fair Hotel in London ahead of the release of his 12th studio album Old Ideas.

He said: I always felt I was kind of scraping the bottom of the barrel just trying to get a song together... I never had the sense that I was standing in front of a buffet table, with a multitude of choices."

When asked about his voice, which Cocker said seemed to be getting deeper, Cohen wisecracked that this is what happens when you give up smoking cigarettes.

"I thought my voice would rise a soprano… it's not going that direction," he said.

"I'll start smoking again when I'm 80; I'm looking forward to that."

The 77-year-old, who was in a jubilant mood and had the audience in roars of laughter, underplayed his writing talent.

He recently received a renowned PEN New England award for literary excellence in songwriting, to which he said: "The thing I liked about this award was that I'm sharing it with Chuck Berry.' Roll over Beethoven and tell Tchaikovsky the news' – I'd like to write a line like that."

Posted by AWADNFCR-2133-ID-801268743-ADNFCR Posted on 19 Jan 2012 16:20 to category : Band / Celebrity News

Related Music News

thumbnail

Through a collaboration with Martin, Sheeran's latest signature model features artwork from his latest album '÷' and has been built to his exact specifications.

25 Apr 2017 17:08
thumbnail

An icon who helped propel the rock 'n' roll movement to new and unprecedented heights. Chucky Berry is praised by many as a founding father of modern music.

20 Mar 2017 11:31
thumbnail

Founding guitarist of legendary LA band Y and T Joey Alves passes away due to complications relating to Ulcerative Colitis. Documentary on soon to follow.

13 Mar 2017 13:12
thumbnail

Destroyer Cola is to be the latest release in rock veterans Kiss' long line of merchandise currently available to the general public for purchase

7 Mar 2017 15:23
thumbnail

In a recent unconfirmed report, frontman of famous rock and roll outfit Guns N' Roses is said to be heading into the studio with Australian rock veterans AC/DC

24 Feb 2017 13:13
thumbnail

Never before has music been so accessible. With social media, tab sites and forums at your immediate disposal, learning your favourite song couldn't be easier.

9 Feb 2017 15:22

Recent Music News

thumbnail

Following CITES agreement last year, Fender has announced that their Elite guitar and bass range will be subject to strict regulation and substitution of woods.

23 May 2017 12:21
thumbnail

A reinterpretation of its predecessor, the Moog Subsequent 37 CV Analog Synth builds upon a cumulative effort between Moog and the very people who play them.

18 May 2017 16:00
thumbnail

With the advent of various new files formats and the cancelling of several licensing programs, the MP3 is speculated to soon become a thing of the past.

17 May 2017 12:40
thumbnail

Renowned for their legacy of revolutionary amplifiers and guitar pedals, Gurus have fast established themselves as a leading voice in the guitar industry

15 May 2017 17:04
thumbnail

Control the harmonic content and output of your tone in one fell swoop. Designed for all things gritty and tenacious, Earthquaker's Erupter puts fuzz back on the map.

10 May 2017 16:55
thumbnail

JBL Professional has launched a competition that gives aspiring musician the opportunity to record in a professional facility with renowned producer Steve Levine.

8 May 2017 14:48