Music Gear News

At Gear4music.com we update our news channel daily to ensure you always get the latest and most important music news.

Leonard Cohen: Not much strategy in my songwriting

Hit musician Leonard Cohen has revealed that he doesn't really have a strategy when it comes to writing songs.
No strategy to writing songs
Leonard Cohen has revealed in a candid interview with Jarvis Cocker that he has never had much of a strategy when it has come to writing songs.

The Canadian musician was speaking to Cocker at the May Fair Hotel in London ahead of the release of his 12th studio album Old Ideas.

He said: I always felt I was kind of scraping the bottom of the barrel just trying to get a song together... I never had the sense that I was standing in front of a buffet table, with a multitude of choices."

When asked about his voice, which Cocker said seemed to be getting deeper, Cohen wisecracked that this is what happens when you give up smoking cigarettes.

"I thought my voice would rise a soprano… it's not going that direction," he said.

"I'll start smoking again when I'm 80; I'm looking forward to that."

The 77-year-old, who was in a jubilant mood and had the audience in roars of laughter, underplayed his writing talent.

He recently received a renowned PEN New England award for literary excellence in songwriting, to which he said: "The thing I liked about this award was that I'm sharing it with Chuck Berry.' Roll over Beethoven and tell Tchaikovsky the news' – I'd like to write a line like that."

Posted by AWADNFCR-2133-ID-801268743-ADNFCR Posted on 19 Jan 2012 16:20 to category : Band / Celebrity News

Related Music News

thumbnail

Former Skid Row frontman Sebastian Bach Spills the Beans On His Less Than Complimentary Thoughts Towards Today's Rock Musicians and Their Work Ethic In the Studio

11 Jan 2017 11:33
thumbnail

The prestigious Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction will be honouring several artists this year, including prog legends Yes. Rick Wakeman has stated that he will not be attending.

3 Jan 2017 16:45
thumbnail

Laying the foundations for generations of artists to follow, the legendary musician Leonard Cohen has passed away from unspecified causes.

11 Nov 2016 10:48
thumbnail

Stating it as more of a necessity for the band, M. Shadows highlights the importance of not stagnating and keeping things exciting

31 Oct 2016 16:10
thumbnail

Cancelling his remaining shows in December due to ill health, fears arise over the guitar legends health

26 Oct 2016 13:08
thumbnail

Verified by the guitarist himself, Slash's B.C Rich played a pivotal role in Guns N' Roses rise to fame

10 Oct 2016 16:17

Recent Music News

thumbnail

Revealing their new range of highly affordable S series, Gibson dish the dirt on their 2017 Line up including the Traditional Series, High Performance Series and more.

16 Jan 2017 13:11
thumbnail

Ideal for those players who flourish in an intuitive education environment, Flowkey puts you in charge of your learning offering a variety of insightful tools.

13 Jan 2017 16:14
thumbnail

The Sonzera series consists of a 50W combo, 50W Head and 20W combo.Used by Black Stone Cherry and Snarky Puppy, expect professional grade tone right off the bat

13 Jan 2017 13:25
thumbnail

Unconventional being what Ibanez do best, the SRAS7 brings the best of both worlds to the modern musician with its combination fretless and fretted fretboards,

12 Jan 2017 10:52
thumbnail

With a variety of new additions to their 2017 line-up, Korg spill the beans on their new revamps, updates and products that are to be appearing at NAMM

12 Jan 2017 08:34
thumbnail

With a stellar 2017 line up at hand Vox have yet again proved to be the masters of innovation, providing a solid mix of classics and contemporary twists

12 Jan 2017 08:34