Music Gear News

At we update our news channel daily to ensure you always get the latest and most important music news.

Leonard Cohen: Not much strategy in my songwriting

Hit musician Leonard Cohen has revealed that he doesn't really have a strategy when it comes to writing songs.
No strategy to writing songs
Leonard Cohen has revealed in a candid interview with Jarvis Cocker that he has never had much of a strategy when it has come to writing songs.

The Canadian musician was speaking to Cocker at the May Fair Hotel in London ahead of the release of his 12th studio album Old Ideas.

He said: I always felt I was kind of scraping the bottom of the barrel just trying to get a song together... I never had the sense that I was standing in front of a buffet table, with a multitude of choices."

When asked about his voice, which Cocker said seemed to be getting deeper, Cohen wisecracked that this is what happens when you give up smoking cigarettes.

"I thought my voice would rise a soprano… it's not going that direction," he said.

"I'll start smoking again when I'm 80; I'm looking forward to that."

The 77-year-old, who was in a jubilant mood and had the audience in roars of laughter, underplayed his writing talent.

He recently received a renowned PEN New England award for literary excellence in songwriting, to which he said: "The thing I liked about this award was that I'm sharing it with Chuck Berry.' Roll over Beethoven and tell Tchaikovsky the news' – I'd like to write a line like that."

Posted by AWADNFCR-2133-ID-801268743-ADNFCR Posted on 19 Jan 2012 16:20 to category : Band / Celebrity News

Related Music News

Verified by the guitarist himself, Slash's B.C Rich played a pivotal role in Guns N' Roses rise to fame

10 Oct 2016 16:17

Featuring a number of tracks by their favourite artists, the Stone's latest effort is set for release December 2nd

6 Oct 2016 15:31

Speaking to friend and radio host Eddie Trunk Frehley stated that he would rejoin the band if the offer came his way

30 Sep 2016 15:54

In aid of The Children Hospital Charity, Arctic Monkeys have signed a statue of an elephant to be auctioned off for charity

28 Sep 2016 17:21

Following a tweet on Wednesday, the band revealed a typo error in their previous announcement and have revealed that they will be returning in 2017

28 Sep 2016 11:15

A plaque marking where David Bowie resided whilst he created his revered Berlin album trilogy has been destroyed

21 Sep 2016 16:06

Recent Music News

In August controversy was in the air as the Dirty Dancing stage show fired its live musicians in favour of a backing track. Now the Musicians' Union urge its members to join in the protest.

26 Oct 2016 15:38

Cancelling his remaining shows in December due to ill health, fears arise over the guitar legends health

26 Oct 2016 13:08

With two plug-ins worth up to 199 Euros, users who purchase a A77X between 24/10/2016-31/01/2017 can experience unprecedented audio quality at a fraction of the price.

25 Oct 2016 15:09

In recent times, the theft of musical instruments and gear seems to be more prevalent than ever. With this GPS guitar pedal, users can track their stolen equipment simply by logging in online on their phone or tablet.

24 Oct 2016 17:11

Paving the path for unique high quality drum stools, Roc 'n' Soc's products cater to caters comfort and overall playing experience.

24 Oct 2016 15:23

With great discounts on Toontrack EZmix 2 Mix Software, Toontrack EZmix 2 Mixing Software EZmix Preset Pack Bundle and Toontrack EZmix Presets Bundle for EZMix 2 Mixing Software the choice for great and affordable mixing software has never been clearer!

21 Oct 2016 13:37