Music Gear News
Adele named most powerful in British music
Adele has been named the most powerful person in the British music industry.
The Music Power 100 poll by the Guardian newspaper saw the singer - who has topped the UK album charts for 16 weeks running this year with '21', but had a relatively short career, releasing her debut album in 2008 - and her team beat more established industry figures including Simon Cowell, Jay-Z and Damon Albarn.
The list was decided by a music industry panel and focussed mainly on industry figures and the teams behind the success of artists. Adele was voted top after she managed to hit number one in 15 countries with '21' and sell six million copies of the album in a time when album sales are declining.
Richard Russell, head of Xl records, Adele's label, said: "The whole message with her is, it's just music. There's no gimmicks, there's no selling of sexuality."
Second place on the list were Lucian Grainge and David Joseph, the executive head CEOs of Universal Music Group and Universal Music UK respectively, the label which is home to Lady Gaga, Justin Bieber and The Rolling Stones.
'The X Factor' TV talent show boss Simon Cowell - who runs the Syco label, part of Sony records - was number three on the list while Nigel Harding, boss of public broadcasting station Radio 1 was fourth. Fifth place went to the controllers of music download service iTunes UK.
Music Power 100 list, top ten entries:
1. Team Adele: Label executive: Richard Russell, XL Recordings, Manager: Jonathan Dickins, Publisher: Paul Connolly, Universal Music Publishing Group, Radio plugger: Brad Hunner, Radar Plugging.
2. Lucian Grainge: Universal Music Group and David Joseph: Universal Music UK
3. Simon Cowell: Managing Director, Syco
4. Nigel Harding: Broadcaster, Music policy executive, Radio 1
5. Person or persons unknown: Retailer: iTunes UK
6. Chad Hurley, Steve Chen and Jawed Karim: Digital media: founders, YouTube
7. George Ergatoudis: Broadcaster, head of music, BBC Radio 1 and 1Xtra
8. Larry Page, Sergey Brin and Eric Schmidt: Digital media, co-founders, Google, and their executive chairman
9. Simon Moran: Live music promoter, managing director, SJM Concerts
10. Jeff Bezos: Retailer, president and CEO, Amazon.comPosted on 27 May 2011 10:00 to category : Music News
Related Music News
Research from the National Association for Music Education has recently highlighted the most fundamental aspects of an effective practice routine and how to be a better musician
MusicRadar recently spoke to iZotope to get their opinion on intelligent mixers and how they are impacting the contemporary producer.
The grandfather of virtual reality Jaron Lanier relays a time when the first explorations into virtual reality were concerned with how to create a real air guitar.
In the wake of an increasing trend for musicians having to work for free or for less than they're entitled to, the Musicians Union show their support.
Some formats of compressed MP3 have been linked with negatively effecting individuals emotional state due to their inherent tonal characteristics
Featuring a whole host of professional grade components, Antelope Audio's Zen Studio is available now at an incredibly discounted price.
Recent Music News
With various different entries, Ibanez unleash a spectacular array of signature models to their NAMM 2017 line up
With extensive research conducted into how to make a kit that truly caters to the player and their specific needs, Pearl hit a home run with these one of a kind custom kits
A revamp of one of Ludwig's most popular snares, the Ludwig Black Beauty 14x8 projects classic tone and looks as good as the original
Mackie's Big Knob Studio Interface continues the legacy of its predecessors, championing various new features and exciting tech to reiterate its triumphant return.
Line 6's first ever artist designed guitar, the Shuriken personifies the aggressive and technical playing styles of metal enthusiasts around the world.
Building on the foundations of its predecessor the Prophet 08, the REV2 features a whole array of interesting and innovative additions to its format.