Solid Sitka Spruce & Genuine Mahogany Body
The 000-18E Retro features a stunning solid sitka spruce top that offers a broad dynamic range, versatility, and crisp articulation. Spruce is the most commonly used wood for guitar tops as it generates a dynamic tonal pallet and accommodates numerous playing techniques. The wood itself is quite elastic in nature, which resonates well whilst remaining strong, and provides a focused, clear sound of deep lows, warm midi-range, and bright singing highs. The spruce top is contrasted beautifully by the mahogany back and sides, as mahogany is denser and produces a richer tone, with emphasised warmth in the mid and low ranges. The mahogany back and sides offer a rich characterised warmth, and is well-balanced with a bite of its own. Mahogany is used a lot in the acoustic world, because it is relatively economical, durable, attractive, easy to work with, and resonant.
Select Hardwood Neck & Ebony Fingerboard
The select hardwood neck is topped with an ebony fingerboard that provides a responsive, bright, snappy, crisp attack, and excellent durability. The neck is sleek, modern, and has a high performance taper for enhanced playability. The Ebony fingerboard and bridge also apply clarity and well defined punch, coupled with smooth sustain and bright top-end. The neck also features a modified low oval shape, offering durability and stability.
Martin Playability Enhanced
For 183 years, Martin have been at the forefront of guitar innovation and premier craftsmanship, bringing consumers some of the best acoustic guitars possible. The iconic Martin tone is known worldwide and playability has become an important characteristic that sets Martin guitars aside from others within the acoustic world. Martin's manufacturing processes have been perfected by their Plek machines, the Pleking process helps Martin guitars maintain their undeniable tone.
The Plek Pro has been developed for use in guitar production factories as a tool that not only does precise fingerboard dressing, but also helps with quality control. The computer controlled device scans and dresses the guitar under actual playing conditions, strung and tuned to pitch for using precise string tension emulation. This machine has been a major break through over the last decade, as its eye for detail identifies exactly what needs to be done for perfect fretwork. The Plek Pro delivers you with perfect results, raises the quality of the instrument, and gives you a beautifully toned, easy to play acoustic guitar.
Martin's 000 Body Shape
The Martin 000-18E features Martin's 000 body shape, which is also known as the auditorium guitar cut, providing comfort and great volume projection. Its sleek, smooth, curvaceous shape features a 12th fret join construction, which provides more length in the body, offering more volume and bass projection. Its nipped in waste means it will sit comfortably on the knee, offering well-balanced to accommodate many different playing styles. The auditorium shape was found on the 1940 pre-war era guitars, providing a modern take on an authentic, vintage build.
Fishman F1 Aura+
The Retro comes equipped with Fishman electronics, to provide an amplified authentic acoustic tone. The Fishman F1 Aura+ is exclusive to Martin guitars, and features stunning imaging technology in a distinctive and easy to use on-board preamp system. The sophisticated system has an ability to replicate the sound of nine different world-class studio microphones, providing a unique intelligence not found on any other high-end guitars. Offering an intuitive menu that is versatile with controls situated in the ideal position for ease of operation while on stage, or in rehearsals. Controlled with two rotary buttons and a single, large, bright LED display for easy-read purposes. Featuring mid-scoop control, from flat to emphasised treble and bass, volume control, image select, pickup, image blend control, digital chromatic tuner, phase switch, and compressor. In addition to these high-end features, the Aura+ features an automatic anti-feedback filter with up to 3 notches.
The Martin 000-18E was constructed and designed with vintage-retro aesthetics and tone in mind. Whilst its tone comes from the vintage build to provide you with vintage-retro characteristics, Martin have also managed to get creative and finish the 000-18E Retro with a vintage appearance. The Martin Retro is finished with an aging toner gloss top to recreate the pleasing pre-war authentic-acoustic appearance. The aptly named 000-18E Retro screams authentic-aesthetics via taking the design, construction, and ornate details from pre-war acoustics and bringing the vintage-vibe back to the future. Martin have chosen a classic faux tortoise pick-guard to accompany the aging toner top, and old style 18-stripe sound-hole rosette, which projects Martin's vintage vision perfectly.
- Solid sitka spruce top provides versatile tone that will accommodate numerous playing styles
- Genuine mahogany body offers rich distinct warmth
- Ebony fingerboard for smooth sustain
- Aging top toner projects authentic appearance
- On-board Fishman preamp and chromatic tuner for precise tuning, and personalised tone control
Body & Bridge
- Model: 000-18E Retro
- Construction: Mahogany Blocks/Dovetail Neck Joint
- Body Size: 000-14 Fret
- Top: Solid Sitka Spruce
- Rosette: Old Style 18
- Top Bracing Pattern: Standard ''X'' Scalloped
- Top Braces: Solid Sitka Spruce 1/4''
- Back Material: Solid Genuine Mahogany
- Back Purfling: Style 18
- Side Material: Solid Genuine Mahogany
- Endpiece: none
- Endpiece Inlay: none
- Binding: Tortoise Brown
- Top Inlay Style: Multiple Black/White Boltaron
- Side Inlay: none
- Back Inlay: none
- Bridge Material: Solid Black Ebony
- Bridge Style: 1930s Style Belly w/ Drop-In Saddle
- Bridge String Spacing: 2-3/16''
- Saddle: 16'' Radius/Compensated/White Tusq
- Bridge & End Pins: Black w/ White Inlay
- Pickguard: Delmar Tortoise Color
Neck & Fingerboard
- Neck Material: Select Hardwood
- Neck Shape: Modified Low Oval Profile w/ Performing Artist Taper
- Nut Material: Bone
- Headstock: Solid/Square Taper
- Headplate: Solid East Indian Rosewood
- Heelcap: Solid Black Ebony
- Fingerboard Material: Solid Black Ebony
- Scale Length: 24.9''
- Number Of Frets Clear: 14
- Number Of Frets Total: 20
- Fingerboard Width At Nut: 1-3/4''
- Fingerboard Width At 12th Fret: 2-1/8''
- Fingerboard Position Inlays: Old Style 18 - Green Abalone
- Fingerboard Binding: none
- Finish Back & Sides: Polished Gloss
- Finish Top: Polished Gloss w/ Aging Toner
- Finish Neck: Satin
Electronics & Hardware
- Electronics: Fishman F1 Aura Plus Retro
- Tuning Machines: Grover Nickel V97-18NA Sta Tite
- Recommended Strings: Martin SP Lifespan Phosphor Bronze Light Gauge (MSP7100)