View Full Description
Birth of the Burst
By 1958 the Les Paul had already evolved through several modifications including the arrival of the Tune-o-matic bridge and humbucking pickups. Despite this sales started to slow a little and president, Ted McCarty decided that the model's flashy Goldtop finish could be to blame. The elegant and traditional sunburst finish was introduced and has been a favourite ever since.
This new finish displayed the grain of the guitar's carved Maple top so Gibson now used bookmatched two-piece tops glued together with a center seam, giving each guitar its very own distinct look and marking the beginning of the guitar world's fascination with figured maple tops. The majority of the tops used in 1958 were considered "plain" when compared to the tops used just one year later and beyond. The 1958 Reissue features a less showy Maple top that is sometimes considered more authentic looking than those with highly detailed figuring.
Classic Les Paul Features
The 1958 Les Paul Standard Reissue had all the ingredients that made Les Paul a classic in the first place. The body is solid, non-weight relieved Mahogany which blends depth and richness with the snap and clarity of a Maple top. The quarter-sawn Mahogany neck has a chunky, rounded 50s profile and a traditional long-tenon neck joint which enhance sustain and resonance as well as feeling great in the hand.
This Les Paul also benefits from Gibson Custom's 20th Anniversary specs. These include a one-piece Rosewood fingerboard, Kluson™ Deluxe machine heads, hot-hide glue neck fit, a Historic Truss Rod assembly with no tubing, accurate body and fingerboard binding color, new Custom Buckers created in the image of the original PAFs, and period-correct Aniline dye beneath its nitrocellulose lacquer finish.
True Vintage Tone
The new Custom Bucker on this guitar is an accurate representation of the original PAFs around in the late 50s using Alnico III magnets and unequal turns of 42 AWG wire in each coil for that characteristic bite. These pickups clean up beautifully at the guitar's volume controls, while Bumble Bee tone caps assist in that warm, singing tone when you roll back the tone controls. This Les Paul plays superbly right out of its Custom Shop hardshell case thanks to a trip through one of Gibson's state-of-the-art Plek machines before it leaves the Custom Shop floor.
Body & Bridge
- Top: Carved Maple Top
- Back: Solid, Non-Weight Relieved Mahogany Back
- Binding: Single-ply Cream Binding on Top
- Adhesive: Franklin Titebond
- Finish Sealer: Nitrocellulose Lacquer
- Treatment: Aniline Dye
- Finish: Bourbon Burst VOS
- Bridge Type: ABR-1 bridge
- Plating: Nickel
- Tailpiece: Lightweight Aluminum Stopbar Tailpiece
- Plating: Nickel
Neck & Fingerboard
- Neck Species: 1-piece Mahogany Neck with Long Neck Tenon
- Profile: Early '50s Rounded
- Truss Rod: Historic Truss Rod Assembly (No Tubing)
- Joint Angle: 4° (+/- 15 seconds)
- Inlay: Holly Headstock Veneer w/ Pearl logo
- Truss Rod Cover: Vintage Black and White
- Angle: 17 Degrees
- Neck Joint: Mortise & Tenon
- Neck Adhesive: Hot Hide Glue
- Neck Joint Angle Tolerance: +/- .005"
- Nut: Nylon
- Width: 1.687
- Slots: Gibson PLEK System
- Fingerboard: One-piece Rosewood
- Radius: 12"
- Scale Length: 24.75"
- Binding: Single-ply Cream
- Inlays: Cellulose Trapezoid
- Nut/E.O.B: 1.687/2.062
Electronics & Hardware
- Neck Pickup: Custom Bucker
- Bridge Pickup: Custom Bucker
- Potentiometers: 2 Volume Controls, 2 Tone Controls
- Capacitors: Bumblebee
- Toggle Switch: Three-Way with Amber Toggle Cap
- Output Jack: Traditional ¼"
- Tuners: Kluson™ Deluxe
- Tuning Ratio: 12:01
- Plating: Nickel
- Knobs: Gold Top Hats with Dial Pointers
- Toggle Switch Washer: Cream with Gold Silkscreen
- Pickguard: Cream
- Pickup Mounting Rings: Cream
- Control Plate Cover: Black
- Strings: .010 - .046
- Strap Buttons: Aluminum
- Certificate of Authenticity
- Adjustment literature and documentation for the guitar's limited lifetime warranty
- Gibson Custom Shop Hardshell Case
The product price includes a one year warranty and 30 day money back guarantee.
However, the Gear4music extended warranty scheme provides an enhanced service, and is designed to offer a higher level of protection than many 'free' warranties offered by some retailers and manufacturers.
The highlights of this enhanced warranty service are:
- Warranty is extended to 5 years from the date of delivery.
- Our Money Back guarantee is extended from 30 days to 90 days (terms apply after 30 days)
- Collection and delivery costs are included for the first two years
- Claim 50% cash back on the cost of the policy after 5 years if it has not been used!
- Warranty is transferable if the item is re-sold
- Loan or replacement equipment will be provided if the product isn't repaired within 30 days
- If an item can not be repaired, a similar alternative product or cash discount (as defined in this policy) will be offered
- The policy can be cancelled within 30 days, and at any time after that for a pro-rata discount
Please note that this extended warranty is currently only available on products sold within the EU or EEA, and is subject to the terms and conditions as detailed on the extended warranty certificate provided.
This enhanced warranty is in addition to the standard Gear4music and manufacturer warranty policies, and the Gear4music terms and conditions of trade. No statement or condition of sale contained within these terms affects or restricts your statutory rights as defined under the Consumer Contracts Regulation 2014.
Once the product is delivered, you have 30 days to decide that you definitely want to keep it. If you decide it is not suitable for any reason, you can return it back to us for replacement or full refund, including standard delivery charges.
All Products are new unless stated, and include a minimum of one year warranty.
Some items are only eligible for money back guarantee if they are returned to us unused and sealed in the original packaging, and in the case of software, unregistered. These items include:
- CDs & DVDs
- In-ear Monitors
- Earplugs and Ear Protection
- Mouthpieces, Reeds etc… for Woodwind and Brass instruments
- Mouth / Lip Care Products
We are unable to accept returns of any custom made items designed to work together as a unique package, such as computer system built to a customer’s personal specifications. Exceptions may only be possible with prior agreement of the vendor, and may be subject to a cancellation fee.
This item usually qualifies for free standard delivery. Saturday and timed delivery services are also available as cost options when you add the item to your shopping basket.
If you also purchase items that do not
qualify for free delivery, some delivery charges may be applied to your
order which will be shown in your shopping basket.